I stayed

'What if we want to go somewhere, help someone and they don't want us to?' steve questioned. Kat looked over at tony. It had been two weeks since their talk and he had left her alone. But an urgent meeting brought them face to face.

'Skovia was over a year ago. Why are they finally yelling at us now?' kat questioned. 'I mean we saved the city. It was flying in the fucking air and we brought it back down.'

'The damage-'

'The damage would have been a whole country, being wiped off the map. We saved a lot of people. We saved Skovia.' Kat reminded them.

'After Tony almost destroyed it.' Steve added. Kat stayed quiet. Yes it was tonys fault but he thought what he was doing when he created Ultron was to help. He had no idea that the armor around the world idea floating through his head was going to create a murderous robot army.

'Who signed the stupid thing?' kat questioned. Tony slid over the contract. 'Nat, Rhodey, Vis...' kat looked up. Tony tossed her a pen. She clicked it a few times in her hands before signing it. 'what happens to steve? For mister rule follower he was being pretty vocal with his opinions on this.'

'If he doesn't follow the guidelines and retire, then he gets arrested.' Tony said simply. 'kat, are you signing this because you thinks it's the right thing or because of me?' kat shoved the paper and pen across the desk at him.

'I don't know tony. I think steve is right but I gotta be honest... I was considering quitting.'

'What?' tony questioned sitting down next to her.

'Everything. My whole life was you tony. Stark towers, stark industry, avengers... it was me and you... I need space from it. From all of it... its hard working with you... because we are never going to be what we were, I don't knew if we will ever be friends again Tony-'

'No don't say that. I stayed away like you asked. We can still be friends. We can try right?' tony begged.

'Lets just get this stupid Skovia accords done with.' Kat said getting up.

'be glad you are not an avenger and sorcerer Supremes don't need to follow the governments rules.' Kat told Stephen when she got back that night. 'can we stay in, order a pizza or oh better idea!' she collapsed into his lap. 'portal to Chicago for deep dish!' kat suggested.

'Anything for you.'

'you know after the whole skovia falling out of the sky deal... I stayed.' Kat told him as they ate searching for a movie to watch.

'You stayed in skovia?'

'Yeah... I felt awful. I felt like it was my fault.'

'Tony created Ultron, him and Bruce I thought?' Stephen questioned.

'they did but they used my technology, stuff I was working on... it was more of a theory. Ultron I never actually thought of making it happen but bruce and tony worked on it. Kept it from me. I was going through divorcing him at the time so I wasn't really paying attention to his extra curricular.' Kat admitted. 'maybe if I wasn't... maybe none of this would have happened.' Kat said dropping the slice back onto her plate, her stomach in knots.

'No, you cant blame yourself for their mistake.'

'but I did. I do. So I stayed while everyone else went home. I stayed and tried to clean up the mess we had made...' Stephen pulled her into him, rubbing her back. 'I met a man, he lost his wife and his son... they thought they were safe... they thought they had gotten far enough away from the city... he was filled with so much anger and hatred, and I didn't blame him. I stayed for three months. When I got back, I thought maybe Tony and I could work it out... I saw all these families torn apart and I thought maybe if he got his act together... but that didn't happen.... tony had a reporter in our bed and I tossed him the divorce papers and left.' Kat told him. 'I wanted to go back to skovia because even though everything was falling apart, it made sense there. I was helping and felt useful and wanted for the first time in years I felt like I was needed.' Kat admitted and Stephen wiped at her eyes.

'Oh Katlin,' Stephen said kissing her head.

'maybe secretary Ross is right. We cause chaos wherever we go and then we go home. We leave the cities and towns a mess and go home to our comfy beds, safe and sound. We saved the day. We are heroes.' Kat said through tears. 'people love us, but peoples lives are ruined where ever we go. Peoples home are destroyed and families are pulled apart, because we are trying to help... maybe the world would be a better place without the avengers.'