Chapter 26

Ever since the TV screen flickered off, Archangel Gabriel sat on the cold floor of his cell hugging his knees. He had tried breaking the door open by punching it and kicking it to no avail, leaving his knuckles bloody and his feet aching.

He overheard Aziraphale tell Crowley that the pain was gone but he didn't know if Eden was alive or dead…they wouldn't know for sure until the next fight…

"You were Heaven's most respected and revered angel." A voice said from the stone hallway. "Admired by everyone…. I actually didn't mind being in your shadow during all those millenia…."

It was Sandalphon. The pompous angel peered through the bars. "But then you threw it all away for that….creature…"

"Eden." Gabriel snapped. "Her name is Eden and she's three times the angel than any of you."

Sandalphon forced himself not to flinch and ask. "Why Gabriel? Why….her? Why give up Heaven and all its glory for someone who shouldn't even exist along with a mundane life on Earth with humans?"

The look that Gabriel shot Sandalphon made him back away from the cell door. 

"Eden gave me something that Heaven never had, happiness and true companionship. And life on Earth is anything but mundane. It's full of life everywhere you go. Every person and animal has a name, a story. It's a place of color, laughter, love, friendship…" Gabriel felt a lump in his throat. "...Sadness and pain…." Gabriel was overwhelmed with memories of that terrible day for a brief moment, "And family….." He wiped his eyes. "Home." 

He met Sandalphon's gaze again. "Eden shared all of that with me and more. I learned more these past two years than in six thousand years living amongst Heaven."

Sandalphon scoffed, "Those are human concepts. We are supposed to be above such trivial things….you really are too far gone." As Sandalphon walked away Gabriel replied, "Fine by me."

Gabriel unclenched his fist and gazed down at the silver key in his hand. The key to Eden’s TARDIS. His thoughts danced with Eden’s smiling face as he recalled the day when she gave it to him. 

It had been shortly after the Archangel enjoyed his first carnival with Eden and her parents…..before Paris….Eden had given it to him and said, “So my special Archangel can come and join me in my special place.” The silver key was on a simple piece of string and Gabriel never took it off. “Well, I also forget where I put it most of the time so I think you would be a perfect person to keep it safe!”

Gabriel felt honored that Eden trusted him with something so dear to her.

“Please….please….keep her safe until I can get to her….” Gabriel prayed silently as he clutched the key to his broad chest tightly.