Chapter 41

"Rest here." Brutus murmured as he gently placed Eden on the stone floor. 

"But I want to help." 

Brutus shook his horned head. "You can help by resting. I'll return shortly."

Eden let out a frustrated sigh as Brutus plodded away. He had sent Abraxas and Raguel down separate corridors for supplies. Eden's only company was the sack of food and Hellraiser who curled up beside her, his warmth was more than welcome. 

Eden pulled the makeshift drawstring to reveal the contents. Four chicken drumsticks,  2 wedges of white cheese, a slice of dried fish meat and a small loaf of bread. She was starting to feel hungry again but she ignored her hunger pangs and pulled the drawstring tight, she had to save the food for her family. 

Eden must have dozed off because she was suddenly awoken by the sound of Abraxas and Raguel finally returning. 

"I found some water and I grabbed some more food." Raguel said as he approached with a leather canteen and another loaf of bread and a few apples. "We can get more food once we're in the city." Raguel quickly shoved the items in the sack, then draped a blanket around her shoulders. 

"You don't need new clothes on account of me miracleing the blood and tears away." Eden peeked under the blanket and sure enough,  her Doctor Who t-shirt and black pants looked as good as new. "Thank you." She rasped. Even her red converse sneakers looked brand new. 

"And I got you a nice thick coat." Abraxas said proudly as he approached,  presenting his find with a flourish.

"Really my dear?" Raguel sighed, exasperated. "A black leather jacket? She'll freeze in that!" 

"It was all they had! And it's fuzzy on the inside, it should be all right." 

"It's fine." Eden said before an argument could break out. "It's perfect. It reminds me of my Daddy's jacket." Abraxas helped her to slip into the jacket. "Oh, it's perfect." A perfect fit. The  artificial fur on the inside was warm and soft.

 "I also found this." Abraxas held out something on a silver chain. "I found this in Hastur's office.  He only got this recently, is it yours?"

"Yes!" Eden exclaimed. "That's my sonic! Thank you! Thank you!" Eden yanked Abraxas into a hug as Brutus emerged from the darkness.