012

-ˋˏ ༻ ✺ ༺ ˎˊ-

The flash was making me go blind, but i still smiled politely at everyone in front of me.

There were a lot of people, and i felt nervous. It was the first press conference i did as a Formula One driver. I felt like a little girl, i felt intimidated by all the people looking at me as if i was fresh meat, i mean i am in a way, but it still felt weird. Mick was sitting next to me, looking relaxed and ready for everything, that brought me a sense of comfort, but it wasn't enough. I started to play with one of my rings as a way to prevent myself from picking on my fingers as i usually do when my anxiety kicks in.

— Hello everyone, welcome to the press conference with our two drivers, Mick Schumacher and Willow Harris. Please be respectful. — says the girl in charge of this.

A lot of hands raised, and i swallowed as they chose someone.

— Mick, ¿how does it feel to be back in Formula One after one year?

— It feels amazing, being a year away was torture but at the same time was an amazing opportunity to learn and to see things a bit differently. I'm extremely thankful for the opportunity to race for Porsche this year.

He was handling it like a champ, Mick kept calm and gave a good answer. The team had prepared us for this moment, and we began to practice days in advance, they told us what to say and what to avoid, or how to avoid some questions being polite, but it all vanished from my mind as i stepped into the room.

— Willow, ¿how do you stay in shape? ¿Do you feel at a disadvantage compared to the other drivers?

I lifted my eyebrows a bit, in surprise.—Uhm, i stay in shape thanks to my trainer, She worries about my diet and i just do what she says. And not really, i have been racing against men my whole career and our physical differences never made that big of a difference in our performances.

That wasn't that bad, i think.

The next few questions were for Mick, and i was fine with it, i just sat in my place, looking around and paying attention to what they were saying. The questions were normal, the only one i believe was a bit over the top was the one they asked about Mick's past with Haas.

— Willow, ¿What's your relationship with the Leclerc brothers?

What did that have to do with racing?

— Lifelong friends, i grew up with them.

— Willow, ¿What do you think made the team choose you?

I smiled a bit.— I don't know, maybe that i won the Formula Two championship last year.

A few of them laughed or smiled, but the other ones had an annoyed look on their faces. I was just making a joke out of nerves.

— Mick, ¿How do you feel about having Willow as your teammate? ¿Do you feel in advantage?

Mick cleared his throat.— I'm more than happy to have her as my teammate, we got to know each other during the break and we are great friends. And no, i don't feel in advantage at all, she just won a championship and she's a really good driver.

I smiled at him and he smiled back.

— Willow, ¿Do you think you will be able to keep your heart and emotions out of the track? Is well known some good-looking mates are driving this year, so it might be hard to not fall in love.

Seriously, what did this have to do with racing?

I swallowed and sat up straight.— It's impossible to keep your heart out of the track, but not in the way you are insinuating. Racing is something I'm passionate about, and my emotions and my heart are attached to it. I'm not good at mixing my job and relationships, and i won't be doing that anytime soon.

I was satisfied with my answer, i didn't say anything out of line and i was able to control myself. They were starting to get under my skin but i couldn't let them do so.

— Sure, someone records that so we can show her when she has screwed half of the grid.— someone said from the back of the room and a few people laughed.

I froze in my seat, as everyone had heard it. Those comments were part of my daily basis, people doubting my position for being a woman happened every two seconds. I had learned to ignore them, but none of them were as disgusting as this one, saying "She's a woman she can't drive" is nothing next to insinuating i will screw half of the grid. I haven't even raced yet and people are already ruining my experience.

— ¿What is your problem? — Mick asked, sounding genuinely mad.

I looked at him and shook my head, i didn't want him to get in trouble.

— If i screw half of the grid that's none of your business.— It's the only thing i say into the mic.

— ¿So you're planning on doing so? Woah, that's probably how you got up.

I was trying so hard not to get up and go.

— ¿Do you have a problem with me? — i ask crossing my arms.— Or you're just trying to get under my skin and make me react badly so you have something against me to post in the media? Trying to pick a fight with a 21-year-old old, pathetic.

The guy was getting mad.— ¿Who are you calling pathetic? I'm not the one getting into people's beds to make a name for myself, I'm not a whore.

The people in charge intervened after that, asking the man to leave the room. Why didn't they do that before? I was pissed, and for the rest of the press conference, i stayed in silence and only answered when it was necessary. I felt so relieved when it all ended, i didn't even wait a minute longer and left the room, i went straight to my car and sat down in the driver's seat. I will not cry, at least not in a public space. I heard a knock on my window and looked outside to see Mick standing there. I unlock the door and he quickly goes all the way around to get in.

— ¿How are you feeling? That must have been a lot, I'm sorry your first experience at a press conference was like this.

I smiled a little, he was too sweet.— I'm fine, well I'm pissed but it will pass. And it's fine, i assumed i would have a lot of moments like that this year.

— But you shouldn't have to go through that, you're one of the most talented drivers i know.

— Yeah well, that's the world we live in.— i sighed and turned my car on.— You know your way around, where should i go to cheer myself up?

He thought about it for a moment and then smiled.— Move, i will drive.

We exchanged sits and Mick began driving right away. Germany was beautiful, i didn't have a problem traveling here almost every week, the views paid it all off. I still needed to learn the language, Mick was helping me and i was also taking classes from a really good teacher, i could understand most of what was said to me. 

— ¿How are the classes going? — Mick asks like he could read my mind. 

— They are fine, I'm picking up more and more. It's a really difficult language. 

— It is, sucks to be you.— he joked and i laughed.

— Yeah, especially today more than any other day.

He didn't answer straight after.— I know i just said this, but it really sucks what you have to go through just because you're a woman. I don't understand what those people had in their minds, not even one question they made you were focused on your driving career.