055

-ˋˏ ༻ ✺ ༺ ˎˊ-

Yeah, it was a bit too late.

The rumor had spread like a virus, and in no time my comments were full of people asking me which driver i was dating. I had to turn them off, or they wouldn't stop. I sat in disbelief in my car, the meeting ended half an hour ago, but i was still in the parking lot, phone in hand and going through my Instagram direct messages.

" I knew it from the moment i saw you" "Such a slut, getting in bed with the first one that comes around" "If you are with my favorite driver, you are dead" "You're so ugly, who would lay eyes on you" " I'm sure you got into someone's bed to keep your career on the float"  "got your seat in exchange of a blow?" "you're dead" "This sport doesn't need people like you, please crash and die next race"

Thousands and thousands of messages like that appeared on my screen. I felt ill, they already knew, and they would never figure out it was Oscar. ¿What could we do? ¿What will our teams ask us to do? I'm sure they will ask us to keep our distance and they will keep an eye on us at all times, making it harder to meet up.

¿How did they know? 

That was the question i couldn't get out of my head. The only people that knew about Oscar and i were our closest friends, and i know for sure none of them would say even a word. Or maybe they did by mistake, and said something to someone they trust, and that person told everyone. 
No, i asked them to keep it shut, and i trust them with my life.

I heard knocking on my window, i looked away from my phone and looked up.

— Excuse me, i need you to move. We are closing the parking lot.— says the man with an annoyed tone of voice, but he then looks embarrassed.— Oh sorry, ¿are you okay? 

I was the confused one now. I look at myself in the mirror and notice the tears pouring down my face. I quickly dry them and nod.— yeah sorry, i'm leaving now. Have a good day.

I turned my car on and drove away, i had the radio on, and "You're on your own kid" started playing. I rolled my eyes at the timing but didn't change it, i always wanted to recreate those dramatic scenes where the protagonist drove away, crying and listening to something sad. The only thing i was missing, was the rain. 

I was fucked. Rumors don't go away easily, and something tells me this will haunt me for the rest of my career. Every interaction i will have from now on with another driver will lead to rumors of us together, even with the drivers that already have girlfriends. This is a nightmare for the PR apartment, i'm waiting for Marjorie to arrive at her hotel and check her phone, she's gonna call me and another meeting is gonna be held, probably today. 

Or maybe she was already calling me, it was an option, but i had my phone in silence and i couldn't look at the screen while driving. I wasn't that stupid, i was already having a tough time trying to see clearly with my tears. I wasn't sure why i was even crying, i believed that i was used to those things being said to me, but i guess i was wrong. How could you ever get used to being treated like garbage? and have your career been affected by all this? I have worked so hard for so many years to be where i am right now, and it's all being overlooked because i fell in love with someone. They're gonna assume i got this sit because i had contacts. For fucks sake.

I sighed as i stopped the car, i was in the parking lot of the hotel. We were supposed to leave today in a few hours and go straight to Miami, where the next race was gonna be held. Great, Miami was known to be more about the show and less about the race, i was gonna be more exposed to the media than usual, and there's no way people are gonna let this go by this weekend. I got out and put on my sunglasses, i barely even said hello to the staff and went straight to my room. I hoped Oscar wasn't still there, i needed a moment to myself. 

I got out of the elevator and went to my room, where Charles was waiting for me. I took a deep breath, dried my cheeks, and faked a smile as I approached him.

— ¿Can i help you? — i asked and opened the door, without looking at him i got in.— I'm in a bit of a hurry Charlie, my plane leaves in a few hours and i have nothing ready. 

Charles walks past me and gets inside the room. I sighed closing it and went to my closet to grab the suitcase, everything under his stare. I wasn't gonna say anything until he did, he might be here for something completely different and i wouldn't have to answer any questions. 

— Pouvez-vous me regarded? — i hear him ask and i shake my head.— Lowieeee

(can you look at me?)

I looked at him and his whole face changed, it went from being a playful one to a worried one. He walks up to me and takes my glasses off my face.

— ¿What happened? — he asks and that's all i need to break down crying.— oh mon bébé .— he says and hugs me tightly. 

✺ 

It took me a while to calm down. I couldn't breathe from all the tears, but thankfully Charles managed to keep me in line and prevent me from having a panic attack. He has always been the one to calm down in these situations, ever since i can remember. I told him everything as i cried, i'm not even sure he understood because i wouldn't pronounce things the right way. 

— ¿Where's your phone? ¿Have you talked to Marjorie or Oscar? — he whispers as he caresses my back, i shake my head.— ¿Want me to talk to them? 

I nod, handing him my phone unlocked. The first thing he did was call Marjorie and put it on speaker, no so i could talk, so i could listen to what she says. 

Oh Willow finally, i have been worried sick for the past hour, ¿Are you okay?  We have a situation on our hands.

— Marjorie hi, it's Charles.— says the Monegasque.— Lowie is here with me but she doesn't wanna talk right now. 

Hello Charles. Oh poor thing, i assume she already knows what happened.

— Yeah she does, trust me she's aware, people flooded her comments and messages. I took a quick look and trust me, it's bad. People are going off.

I heard a sigh.— It's worse than i believed. Are you staying with her? She can't be alone right now.

— I am, I'll talk to my team and get them to change my flight. I can get a private jet for us to fly out, she doesn't need to be on a public flight right now. 

I agree, but please make it as less noticeable as possible, we can't have people see the two of you together right now, it's gonna be like adding fuel to the fire. — Marjorie says.— Please let me know when are you flying off and when you're arriving. And please, take care of Lowie. 

— I will, don't worry. 

The call finishes and Charles browses into my phone, i let him do it, i have nothing to hide from him. I looked at his face and he was frowning and his jaw was tightened. I was gonna tell him to call Oscar, i wanted to speak with him but at the same i didn't want to. I had to, he had told me he would be waiting for me when i got back from the meeting and that was around an hour ago. 

— ¿Do you wanna speak with Oscar? He texted you, asking when was the meeting gonna end.— i hear Charles.

— I don't know.—  i shrugged my shoulders.— can you please text him back and say i won't be able to make it? Make something up, maybe the team moved the flight or something like that. 

— ¿Are you sure? He needs to know what's happening, Lowie. 

— I know, i will tell him but not now, i don't have the strength to go over everything again.— i sigh.— I will tell him first thing when we get to Miami, i promise. 

Charles moves his fingers on the screen.— Okay fine, ¿when do you wanna leave? I can get the jet ready in like an hour. 

— In an hour sounds perfect, i still need to make my suitcase.