018

-ˋˏ ༻ ✺ ༺ ˎˊ-

I was back at the garage.

The interview was fun, the only annoying thing was having to change clothes before and after, we were required to wear our suits when recording. Mick had just finished testing and his car was coming inside the garage. We had a break to eat something and then it was my turn. I am glad to be the second to drive, i can get all of the information the team has gathered from Mick and use it in my favor to improve my performance.

— How was it? — i ask Mick with a smile when he gets out of the car.

He takes his helmet out and the balaclava, showing the biggest smile i have seen.— It was amazing! Oh Willow, you have no idea how amazing it feels to be back at the track after a whole year.

He was radiating happiness, it was the best sight.

— I'm so happy for you Mick.— he jumps on his place and then hugs me.

— I'm sorry, I'm just so happy and i need to get it out.

I laugh and hug him back.— It's fine, but what about we go, get something to eat and then you tell me all about it.

Mick takes a step back and nods frenetically. Without wasting any second, he ran to his driver's room to take a shower and change his clothes. In the meantime, i went up to one of the engineers that were checking the data. The car had reached 323 km/h at the speed trap, it wasn't the fastest but it wasn't bad either.

— We need you back in one hour.— says Frank, my race engineer.— One hour Willow.

— We will be back here in 59 minutes.

He squints his eyes at me, and i stare at him back. Mick was the one to break the eye contact between us, he grabbed my arm and then dragged me outside the garage. Luckily he remembered to get my wallet. We weren't leaving the track, so we weren't in much of a rush, but i knew he was excited and that's why he had me run around the paddock. We stopped at the Porsche facilities and went straight to the kitchen. My stomach was making weird sounds from hunger, and so did Mick's.

— Okay, shoot.— I say as we sit down in the meeting room.

We put a sign on the door that read "Do not disturb, extremely important meeting with government secrets", Mick wrote it.

— First, ¿how was the recording?

— It was fine, they asked some questions about me. Everyone is recording it, it's called "meet the drivers".

— Fuck, tell me the questions so i can prepare the answers.

I laugh and shake my head.— No way, you need to go through the same struggle i did trying to come up with the answers on the spot.

— That's mean of you Lowie.

— No it isn't Schumi, I'm just being fair.

Mick rolled his eyes and focused on his food. He does this all the time when i won't do what he wants, and he doesn't talk to me until either he gives in or i give in, he was such a kid sometimes. This time i knew he would break in minutes if not seconds, all the excitement he was feeling wont allow him to not talk to me, so i just ate and looked at him.

— Fuck it, my excitement is bigger.— he says smiling.

— Five - three.— i say.— You have given in 5 times and i have only given in 3 times.

He showed me his middle finger while laughing, and then began telling me all about his driving session.

It was time, finally. My hands were almost shaking from excitement as i was putting my hair into a braid. I normally do this because my hair doesn't look as messy as when i leave my hair down. I put on the balaclava and then my helmet. I sighed as i accommodated it and looked over at Mick. He had a big smile on his face and his two thumps were up. I shook my body to get all of my nervousness out and got inside the car. It felt great, the seat was comfy and that was a big plus, but please, they could put me on the most uncomfortable seat in the world but i wouldn't say a world.

Willow radio check, radio check.— i hear Frank's voice in my ears.

— Radio check, loud and clear Frankie.

Copy. The session has begun, you can leave the garage when the engineer in front of you tells you so. Good luck, and enjoy it, kid.

The engineer in charge of telling me to go out was looking to the sides and signing me to stop, when his hand dropped and he moved back, it was time. I started to move slowly as i got in the pitlane, and increased the speed when i was fully on the track. The first lap was slow, i was more focused on warming up the tyres. A few cars passed by me, one of them was Carlos and he was waving at me. I laughed and waved back.

I took the last corner and got into the straight, now it was time to speed up and try my best. I gripped the steering wheel tighter and took a deep breath as my foot pressed the throttle. My neck stayed as steady as possible as i took turn one, my jaw was clenched and i knew that would suck tomorrow, my whole head was gonna hurt but it didn't matter in the slightest to me. I was having the time of my life as i went past every corner, every time faster than before. And it was even funnier when i passed Carlos in a straight, i could hear him swearing at me in Spanish.

Good move kid, but remember is only testing. No risk, i repeat, no risk.— says Frank.

— Sorry Frankie, won't happen again.

Copy.

I was dying to do it again, but i contained myself, even when i had the perfect opening to go past Oscar. I just slowed down a bit and got behind him before taking the turn. Time went by so fast, that we were already in the middle of the season when they called me back to the pit. I didn't get out of the car, i received the towel Mick handed me to dry my sweat. The team changed the tires and put in a new set of hards, i put my visor down and got the car out of the garage as they told me. No one else was on the track at the moment, everyone was at their garages so i had the whole track to myself. This was gonna be awesome.

Track clear, go as you please but don't go off, i will let you know when someone else goes out.

— Copy, thanks Frankie.

This time, i pushed as hard as i could. I kept it together for the first two laps, but then i went over the limit. My heart stopped when the car almost went off in a curve, i braked a bit later than i had to, but thankfully i was able to control it before it got worse and the car didn't go straight into the barrier.

Willow. i hear Frankie, in a warning tone.

— Sorry, i got too excited.

I said no risk, kid. Don't let it happen again... Mick almost peed his pants.