064

-ˋˏ ༻ ✺ ༺ ˎˊ-

I left the house at midnight.

After that call with Franco, i put myself together and washed my face before returning downstairs. I had dinner with my siblings, pretending nothing had happened, pretending i didn't just have my heart ripped in two, a second time, by the same person. And when dinner was finished, i took my siblings to bed, i read them a quick story to help them fall asleep, and told my dad i would take a walk. That brings us to where i am standing now, on the beach, at the same spot i was in earlier today with Matteo. I removed my shoes and walked closer to the water to feel it on my feet. I still didn't believe it. My brain couldn't comprehend what went down in the last three hours of my life, from having hope again about me and Oscar thanks to my little brother, to finding out who made the world turn against me.

Simply lovely.

I felt hopeless and lost, but more than anything, i felt an insane need to have Oscar by my side. Hugging me and assuring me everything was going to be alright.

— Here you are, it took me a second to find you.— i hear Charles say behind me, with a shaky breath.— god, i was so scared, if you wanted to give me a heart attack, you did it.

I sent him a text when i left the house, asking him to meet me here if he could, i needed to speak with someone about this, and i trusted Charles with my life. I turned around to look at him and tried to smile, but it looked more like a grimace.

— Hi Charlie.— i say, my voice coming out a bit raspy as i hadn't drunk much water after all that crying.— I'm sorry, i just sent the text and didn't read it twice.

He nods and takes a second to catch his breath, bathing his hands to blow himself some air.— It's okay, don't worry at all, you know that when it comes to you, there's not a place in the world i wouldn't go to.

This time i did smile, he was the right person to call, and i'm glad i did. It might not seem like a lot, but asking for help it's something really difficult for me, it's something i have struggled with my whole life, and it got worse after my mom left. She was my person before it all went down, i told her everything, and she was the one person i could ask for help from without feeling weak about doing it. The next thing she did, she left me, my dad, and my little siblings, without a word, without an explanation, crushing all the trust it took me to build. The spot she left empty, was occupied by Charles, and i'm sure he will never leave that spot empty again.

— Thank you, i needed that right now.— i whisper and hug him, desperate to feel a sense of comfort.

It took him by surprise, but he hugged me back right away. He held me tight just like he did a few days back when the rumor started. We stayed in silence for a moment, and Charles didn't let go until i chose to do it, and i only did it after a long time, after i felt strong enough to go over everything that had happened.

— ¿What do you need right now? — he asks, holding my hands.— We can go back to my apartment, i can make you some tea and we can talk there. Or we can stay here, and i will listen to everything you have to say. The only problem with the second choice, it's cold, your throat is dry, and i can't make you tea here.

I scoff and dry the tears that were threatening to come out.— Yeah you're right, i like the first choice better.

Charles nods with a soft smile, puts an arm around my shoulders and we walk away, looking for his car.

I took a sip of my cup when i finished telling Charles everything. He was completely silent, with his elbows resting on his knees, and his face on his hands. He looked extremely confused, and i knew by the way his eyes were glued to the ground, he was thinking about what to say. I waited patiently for his feedback, i was truly in need of some advice, and i knew he's gonna take this seriously.

I grabbed my phone and checked the time, it was already 3 in the morning, but i wasn't worried about it, tomorrow was Saturday and my siblings would sleep in, i'm sure i would arrive home before they woke up. I unlocked it and it showed me the chat with my dad, i sent him a text letting him know i was with Charles when we got into his car, and he sent me a quick text back, asking me to take care and that he loves me. I change chats and unconsciously open Oscar's, i was tempted to re-read our old chats, as i have been doing daily this past week, but Charles' voice prevents me from doing it.

— First things first, Matteo is the true hero of this story.— he scoffs.— He's right, you two should be together if you want to, and not care about what people are going to say. People will talk, they always will, but that shouldn't stop you from following your heart, Lowie. You need to remember that you're not a machine, you're a human being, you feel things and you can't control them. Apart from having a career, you can have a relationship, no one says they're repellent to each other. — i nod, and was about to say something but he raises his hand in front of my face to stop me.— I know where you come from, i know why you did what you did, and i understand what your worries are, and as your friend, i want you to know that those are valid feelings, but at the same time, i think you should overcome them. Like i said, they shouldn't run your life. You only live once, Lowie, and life is too short to be worrying about what people think about you.

I completely forgot what i wanted to say before he stopped me. I was left at a loss for words, ¿what could i say to defend my grounds? Wait, ¿could i even defend them? He was right, he truly was, and i couldn't contradict him. I sighed and finished my tea, leaving the cup on the table.

— You're right, i can't let my fears control me. But i have one worry left.— i clear my throat.— ¿What about Oscar? I don't want to expose him to the massive amount of hate i get.

Charles brushes his hair with one of his hands and lays back on the couch.— Well, that isn't your choice, Lowie. He's a grown man, he can make his own choices. And he made it very clear, he wants you, and he knows what that means. You can't choose for him.

— Got me there.— i admit, playing with the ring on my fingers.

— Well, now onto this mother fucker. He had no right to do what he did, and you have to make him pay, in any way possible. He doesn't get to happily live his life after he made you go through all this, and i will help you with that.

I frown.— ¿What do you have in mind? I'm scared.

— Oh you will see.— he laughs and i get even more scared.— I was thinking of paying him with the same coin, we can find a little secret of him, make it public, and boom! He gets what he deserves.— I made a face, i wasn't sure about this plan of his.— ¿Why are you making a face? he deserves it!

— Charles I'm gonna stop you right there, i hate him and i want him to pay, but i don't want to do anything too extreme. He's a person, at the end of the day, and i don't wish upon anyone what i have been through, not even my worst enemy.

Charles sighs and rolls his eyes.— You're such a good person, i can't stand you sometimes.

I laugh and hit his arm.

Everyone needs a Charles in their life.

— Shut up, you love me.

He rolls his eyes again, smiles and puts an arm around my shoulders, giving me a small hug.— yeah yeah, sure.