epilogue

-ˋˏ ˎˊ-

Abu Dhabi, 2027.

One more lap to go. One lap that will decide everything i have been fighting for these past years.

I looked to my right. Max was closer than i thought, i could see the nose of his car in my mirror. It's okay, i won't let that mess up my mindset. I grip my steering wheel, my fingers hurt, and have been hurting for the past 10 laps, but letting go wasn't one of my choices. One more lap. Max hasn't been able to overtake me the whole race, and i won't let him do it at the last second.

We were fighting for this year's title. It has been the most fun i have had in years. Max truly didn't hold back, and neither did i. My team has come very far since my rookie season, the car this year was one of the fastest ones, alongside Red Bull, which came as a surprise, the team had a full-on fallout after their victory in 2024. 2025 and 2026 belonged to Ferrari, to Charles. And of course, i was the first one in line to cheer for him. One of the happiest moments of my life, and i treasure it very close to my heart.

Gap to Verstappen, 0.3 .— Frankie says.— he has DRS.

— Copy. Less radio, please.

Him having DRS gave me the chills, who wouldn't get scared to have Max Verstappen behind you? No. Don't do that, just focus on your own race. Four corners left. Took the first one perfectly fine. Three corners. Two. One. I could see it, i could see the finish line, and i could also see Max next to me. I almost broke my leg pressing the throttle so hard. I went to the limit and pushed the car to the edge. He did the same thing. I couldn't lose time or focus looking over at him, so i just glued my eyes to the finish line.

I let out all the air i was holding the second i crossed the finish line. Who won? I took a quick look at Max and he looked back at me, neither of us was sure. Should i celebrate? or give my congrats to Max? I was okay with both of those outcomes. Preferring the first one a bit more.

— Who won? — i asked on the radio.— We were really close to each other. Neither of us knows.

They are checking, we will let you know as soon as we hear, do your last lap, and go to the pitlane.

I sighed, all the peace i felt vanished in a second, and discomfort in my stomach was born. I waved at the people in the stands and made my way back to the pitlane. I didn't know where to stop, and neither did Max, so we just parked the cars next to each other and got out. I took my helmet and balaclava off, walking over to my team, with a frown.

— Still nothing? — i asked Evelyn and she shook her head, i pressed my lips together and took my water bottle.

— Willow! — i heard someone call my name and i turned around, it was Charles. He was right behind us.— Do i congratulate you or not yet?

I smile at him.— Not yet Charlie, they're still checking.

— Ugh can they check faster please, i need to know.

— So do i, so do i.

Everyone was expecting the results. Max was with his engineers, talking and looking around, looking for someone from the FIA to come and tell us the news. I took my gloves off, and put on my rings and bracelets. Charles ran to his team to celebrate quickly his podium and came back in a blink. And after him, came Mick and Oscar. I went straight to hug Oscar, his arms giving me the comfort i was needing at the anxiety creeping in. Waiting to know felt like torture.

— You were amazing out there, my love.— he whispers to my ear and kisses my head.— No matter the results, i want you to know i'm extremely proud of you.