Chapter 53 Getting back on track

Cui Muli's work efficiency was extremely high, and he sent the double-headed peonies back to Madam Marquis Dingyuan the next day.

Zhou Niannan returned home just before nightfall. He was led directly to Huxin Pavilion. Before he could have a few words with his mother, he caught sight of the double-headed peonies on the stone table.

Zhou Niannan's expression suddenly changed. Didn't he ask Zuo Qing to send someone to obstruct her? How did the flowers get into the Marquis Mansion?

Madam Marquis Dingyuan was playing with the scissor, pruning the branches and leaves of the peonies. "Come, sit down and talk."

Zhou Niannan lifted his robe and sat down with a gloomy look on his face, "Mother, this peony..."

Madam Marquis Dingyuan looked at him sideways, "What peony? I only see 10,000 taels of silver."

Zhou Niannan was not able to  laugh, and stretched out his hand to grab the flowers. Before he could touch the branches and leaves, he was slapped by Madam Marquis Dingyuan——

"Isn't it interesting that you keep sending it away over and over again, and they decline over and over again?"

Zhou Niannan laughed angrily, "Interesting, of course it is. Let me guess, this flower was sent by Cui Er?"

"Yes."

Zhou Niannan gritted his teeth, "Cui Er is really..." Very treacherous and cunning!

Madam Marquis Dingyuan put the scissor aside and wiped the dust on the branches and leaves with fine silk. Well, this is ten thousand taels of silver, so there is no room for carelessness.

She said: "You have seen what happened that day, and you still insist on marrying her?"

In front of everyone, Cui Muli took Xie Miao away without hesitation. If he said there was nothing between them, no one would believe it.

Zhou Niannan's fists tightened and loosened, and he pretended to be relaxed: "They are cousins. Xie Miao stood up for Cui Xijun at the Flower Festival Banquet. It is understandable that Cui Er took her away out of desperation."

How could Madam Marquis Dingyuan not see his reluctance, but she did not expose it and nodded: "Xie Miao is indeed impressive."

The words about Xie Hean were not only touching, but also made people realize that Xie Miao also inherited her father's high moral integrity. How many young girls can achieve this kind of character by being unfazed by favours and humiliations at a young age, and not kneeling down when meeting powerful people?

In contrast, Princess Qingyang is intimidating. It is true that she is of noble birth, and marrying her would make the Dingyuan Marquis Mansion even better, but as Niannan said, when the water is full, it will overflow. If they arouse the suspicion and jealousy of the Emperor, the loss will outweigh the gain. Furthermore, although she is good-looking, she is overbearing and domineering because of her background. If she marries into the Marquis Mansion, won't she cause chaos in the inner house?

It would be better to follow Niannan's wishes and marry the one he likes.

Does Mother agree?

Zhou Niannan was overjoyed and said proudly: "The person I chose is naturally the best."

Madam Marquis Dingyuan glared at him, "You like her, what about her?"

Xie Miao, she...she...

Zhou Niannan felt a flash of regret in his heart, and secretly made up his mind to apologize to her properly when they meet.