Chapter 4 Persimmon thief

The pain in Xie Miao's heart soon disappeared in the scent of incense at Qingxin Temple.

Qingxin Temple is built halfway up Feng Huang Mountain, hidden in the high forest where it can bathe in the light of the first sunlight. It has offered incense for hundreds of years and the sound of the bells are deep and long.

In the solemn hall, Xie Miao knelt down on a mediation cushion and clasped her hands together. She chanted Buddhist scriptures together with many female disciples. After reciting the sutra, Master Hui Jue couldn't help but look at her differently, "Miss Xie is so young, it's hard to have such a character."

Xie Miao moved into the temple half a month ago in the name of self-cultivation. He originally thought that like other pilgrims, she would just worship Buddha and burn incense. However, he did not expect that she would study with the disciples in the temple every day and she was actually more pious than a monk.

Master Hui Jue was a little curious. Xie Miao was obviously just a young girl when they met last time. He didn't know what she had gone through but she had transformed into such a calm person in just half a month.

Naturally, Xie Miao couldn't tell the truth so she only said: "Perhaps I received guidance from the Buddha and suddenly woke up."

Master Hui Jue did not ask any further questions and said, "In that case, Miss Xie can come and listen to me discuss the sutras and recite the Buddha's name every day and comprehend its secrets."

Xie Miao smiled and nodded, "I have this intention."

Master Hui Jue stood up and heard Xie Miao whisper: "Master, please go slowly. I will have something to ask you for help..."

The mountain light faded, the haze flowed and Xie Miao stepped into the courtyard step by step in the afterglow.

This is the courtyard where Qingxin Temple accommodate pilgrims. It is small and elegant. There is a persimmon tree planted in the courtyard. Its branches are red at the moment and it looks like red lanterns from a distance.

Lan Xia laid out rice under the tree, including stir-fried lettuce, cabbage and tofu, cold lotus root slices, and a dish of watershield soup.

A few people sat down to eat together regardless of their status. Xie Miao's health improved a lot and her appetite recovered. On the other hand, Lan Xia who always eats well, picks up a handful of cabbage but the hand holding the chopsticks is weak.

It isn't known what she thought of but she suddenly sat up straight and said enigmatically: "Miss, I am enlightened."

Xie Miao felt happy for a moment. She was indeed her maid. She had only listened to the Sanskrit scripture for a few days and realized the mystery of Buddhism. Then she heard her say: "This slave has finally realised why no one except nuns want to live in the nunnery forever. It's because dishes without meat is too unsatisfactory!"

Xie Miao: ...she thinks too much.

Lan Xia was still sighing: "I really don't know how those nuns can stay here."

Xie Miao calmly picked up a piece of lotus root and said, "For monks, this world is an illusion so naturally they don't care about this little bit of rhetoric."

Lan Xia tilted her head and said: "In life, food, clothing, housing and transportation are the second most important things. If you can't enjoy eating, what's the point?"

Fu Lu stretched out her index finger and pushed her forehead, "You, you, you know how to eat all day long, you are such a foodie!"

Lan Xia sighed, "It's a pity that there is nothing else but vegetarian food..."