Chapter 71 Conspiracy against Dingyuan Marquis

As the sun sets over the mountains and sea, the crying gradually stops.

Lu Xianghe wiped away her tears, thanked Xie Miao, and then turned to Cui Muli, "Master Cui, can you tell me Cong'er's true life experience?"

Cui Muli said: "He is the posthumous son of Yao Tiangang, the governor of Longxi County."

"I see." She couldn't help but smile bitterly, "I should have guessed a long time ago. How can such a coincidence happen in the world? Not long after the disaster silver case was settled, I met an abandoned baby. He even took me up the mountain to live there for two years. Years later, Cong'er's age was changed again... It's my fault that I wanted a child so much. Mine and Yuandao's child."

Xie Miao said: "Madam Zou, Cong'er is yours and General Zou's child. No one can take him away."

Lu Xianghe felt sour in her heart and said hoarsely: "What's fake is fake. Miss Xie, I don't want to deceive myself anymore."

She was disheartened, but the memories kept coming back, and the details that she had ignored became more and more vivid, "No wonder Yuandao resisted treatment for his leg disability at first. I thought he was guilty for having failed the Emperor, but I didn't expect that he was trying to atone for his sins... 732 human lives. Except for that beast, the rest should have lived well in the world, all because of me——"

"Madam Zou, you can't think like that." Xie Miao wiped the moisture from the corners of her eyes and said firmly, "Although General Zou caused a huge disaster because of his confusion, you did not make any mistakes."

"I didn't kill Boren, but Boren died because of me. How could I be innocent?" Lu Xianghe felt dizzy, holding on to the edge of the table and barely standing still. She made up her mind and said, "I want, I want to go see the Emperor and reveal all of the truth and tell the world that Yuandao is definitely not a greedy man who sacrifices himself for personal gain!"

Cui Muli shook his head again, "I'm afraid not."

Lu Xianghe was puzzled, "Why?"

Cui Muli said: "General Zou asked me to keep your secret before he died."

Lu Xianghe was in so much pain. Yuandao, Yuandao ah!

She clutched her clothes tightly and struggled to speak out, "I, I am the victim. I have the right to choose to tell the truth. Master Cui, I don't need your self-righteous protection!"

Cui Muli asked: "Madam Zou, do you know what kind of situation you will face after telling the truth?"

Her whole life will be spread out in front of the world for entertainment after dinner. There may be people who sympathize with her tragic experience, but most of them are filled with overwhelming malice, ridicule, insults and even confusion of right and wrong. General Zou's worries are not unreasonable. The evil in this world is far more surging than good intentions.

Lu Xianghe smiled, but it was sadder than crying.

She said: "Master Cui, I am not an immature child. I know how harsh the world is to women. I have studied medicine with my uncle since I was a child. Countless people have obstructed and ridiculed me, saying that men and women are not close to each other. As a woman, how can I undress people and treat their illnesses... When I grew up, even though I had great medical skills, there were still people who looked down upon me because I am a woman."

She choked up and continued: "But I never cared. Doctors are benevolent, they practice medicine to help the people. Success or fame are all external matters."

She raised her trembling hands, which were covered with thin calluses and small scars. "These hands have saved countless people, old people, children, women, and men... but they can't save myself or my husband."