Chapter 2 Visiting sick cousin Xie

The weather is not cold yet but the lake water got cold first.

Xie Miao, who had been soaking in the lake for a quarter of an hour, caught a cold as expected. She developed a high fever that night and fell asleep for two days.

She slept uneasily, dreaming about her past life and this life with familiar and unknown faces running through her mind. In the end, she couldn't stop dreaming anymore so she simply recited Buddhist scriptures. As she kept reciting, her consciousness suddenly awoke.

When she opened her eyes, she saw the face of her aunt, Madam Xie. She, who had always been steady, had tears in her eyes. She asked tremblingly: "A-Miao, are you okay?"

Xie Miao moved her dry mouth and said, "Auntie, don't cry. It won't look good if the makeup wears off."

Madam Xie's heart felt as if someone had grasped it. She seemed to have returned to the time when she was twelve years old. After her brother and sister-in-law passed away one after another, she almost cried to death. Little Xie Miao, who still didn't know what happened, supported her and said in a sweet voice: "Auntie, don't cry, the makeup won't look good if it's gone."

She is so young but so sensible.

Madam Xie had vowed to take good care of Xie Miao but now it seems that she has not done enough.

She said guiltily: "A-Miao, it's all Aunt's fault."

"What are you talking about, Aunt?" Xie Miao held her hand and said with a smile: "It is obvious that my Aunt has raised me so well that the railings of Shangqing Lake can't hold me. From tomorrow onwards, I will stop eating meat in my courtyard to reduce my food intake."

Madam Xie said calmly: "You don't have to take it upon yourself. This matter is due to the housekeeper's negligence. I have already fined him three months' wage payment and then I'm going to collect another ten yuan."

Housekeepers can be punished for dereliction of duty but she cannot punish some people.

Madam Xie felt depressed when she thought of this.

Seeing her expression, Xie Miao knew what she was thinking. She shook her head at her and said, "Aunt, I asked Cousin Cui to call someone. After all, it was unreasonable to get him to jump in."

The helpless cousin rescued the drowning cousin. You don't need to think about what will happen next.

Madam Xie sighed. That kind of follow-up was exactly what she hoped for. Xie Miao is the niece she is most worried about and she hopes to plan a good future for her. If you choose a good family and marry a good husband, Cui Muli is the most ready-made choice.

In terms of family background, the Cui family have been officials for generations and has produced one Prime Minister and two Ministers. Today, Madam Xie's husband, Cui Shishuo is serving as the Minister of the Ministry of Civil Affairs and the Cui family master is the current Taifu and is highly respected by the Emperor.

Cui Muli has been extremely intelligent since he was a child and he is knowledgeable in literature and theory. He is the number one scholar appointed by the Emperor. Although his official position is not high at the moment, his future is bright. What's more, he has a first-class appearance and is the man that many women in the capital dream of.

Madam Xie had a wonderful thought but it was a pity that Cui Muli had no intentions towards Xie Miao. What was even more of a pity was that Cui Muli was not her biological son. She could not force him to marry Xie Miao and she could not even blame him for turning a blind eye to Xie Miao who fell into the water.