Chapter 25 Lanterns

During the Shangyuan Festival, the lanterns lights up and the capital never gets dark.

According to the custom in previous years, after the young ladies of the Cui Mansion had finished eating the banquet for the Lantern Festival, they go out of the mansion together to enjoy the lanterns.

It was already dark, but the lights in the main city were bright, and people gathered on the thoroughfares, creating a lively atmosphere.

The Cui Mansion's carriages stopped at the most lively and luxurious Jing Street entrance. Looking up, you can see hundreds of lantern trees. Going further in, the lights hanging high along the street are so bright that they are as bright as the moonlight.

The maids and attendants followed their masters closely, and a group of people walked into the inner street looking left and right. The small vendors have been spread out for a long time, and there is no end as far as the eye can see.

Selling lanterns and guessing riddles, throwing pots to catch fish, performing a variety of acrobatics, wearing hairpins and rings, drinking sweet dew during the Lantern Festival... The sounds of shouting comes and goes, and there is a dazzling array of everything from playing to eating.

The lantern seller sells all kinds of lanterns. The squid lanterns are ingenious, the bead lanterns are gorgeous, and the sheepskin lanterns are exquisitely carved. There is a lantern riddle club next to it, with a row of revolving lanterns hanging under the eaves. There are paper-cuts used as wheels and when candles are placed in them, the chariots and horses will gallop around in endless circles.

The steward of the lantern riddle club held a jade rabbit revolving lantern and shouted loudly: "If you guess lantern riddles during the Lantern Festival, you will be able to fly thousands of miles into the sky!"

Many people had gathered in front of him, shouting: "Don't talk nonsense, reveal the mystery quickly!"

"No hurry, no hurry." The steward took the riddle strip from the jade rabbit revolving lantern and read aloud: "The left side doesn't stand out, the right side doesn't stand out, it is not that it doesn't stand out, it just doesn't stand out. In one word."

A scholar in the crowd rushed to answer: "It's the word 'Lin', it's the word 'Lin'!"

"Yes, it is the word 'Lin'." The steward handed the jade rabbit revolving lantern to the person who answered the question, "Congratulations to this Young Master for answering the question correctly. The jade rabbit revolving lantern is given to you."

He took off another Xishi lotus-picking lamp, raised his arm, and said, "The tower is lost in the fog, the moon is lost in the water, and I write a line from a seven-character ancient poem."

The crowd was silent for a while, then Cui Muwen answered first, "Both places are nowhere to be seen!"

"This Young Master is amazing!" the steward praised and handed him the Xishi lotus-picking revolving lantern.

Cui Muwen took the Xishi lotus-picking revolving lantern and gave it to Cui Xining without thinking, "Sister, take it and play with it." Cui Muliang accompanied his wife and children to go shopping elsewhere, and Cui Muwen consciously had to take on the responsibility of taking care of his doting sister.

Cui Xining happily took it.

Seeing this, Cui Xijun tugged on Cui Muli's sleeve and pointed to the most exquisite fish-playing lotus leaf lantern, "Second brother, I want that one."

Cui Muli asked the steward to take off the riddle. The steward smiled and said, "Young Master, you have good taste. For this lamp king, the riddle is a couplet on the upper and lower lines. Guess one word each."