Chapter 103 Please give a chance

Chance?

Xie Miao was puzzled: Why does everyone want her to give them a chance?

"Cui Muli." She said: "You are the number one scholar appointed by the Emperor. How is it possible that you cannot understand that it is difficult to restore a broken mirror, the principle that spilt water is difficult to retrieve?"

Cui Muli said: "Knowing is not difficult, but doing it is difficult. A-Miao, I am at my wit's end."

It means that he understands the principle, but it is too difficult to do.

Xie Miao lowered her eyes and looked at him. Even in the posture of supplication, he was still elegant and maintained the demeanour of a noble man. He should kneel to the Emperor, his ancestors, his elders...

But he should not kneel to her.

She wanted to help him up, but he took her hands and held them close to his face cherishingly.

"A-Miao." His tone was steady, but his palms were trembling imperceptibly, "There are trees in the mountains, and the trees have branches. My heart is happy for you but you don't know it."

(t/n: this is the last two lines from the poem, 'The song of the Yue People'. In nature, there are trees and branches in the mountains, which is natural; but in human society, in the final analysis, only you know the depth of your feelings for others.)

Xie Miao did not pull away her hand, but knelt back on the ground and looked at him levelly.

She asked calmly: "Cui Muli, have you ever read the Bodhisattva?"

...He has read it.

He understood what she wanted to say, which was nothing more than: Bodhi has no tree, and the mirror is not a stand. There is nothing in the first place, so how can it cause dust. (quoted from the literature 'Bodhigatha')

(t/n: there are many different opinions on the meaning of this verse and some people understand it as: Bodhi is the path to enlightenment. Where is the tree to speak of? If there is a tree, then Bodhi becomes an object and becomes attached to it. A bright mirror is a metaphor for a quiet mind. It was originally quiet, therefore where would it be contaminated with dust?)

She knew that he understood, so she said: "There is nothing in the first place, so why bother yourself? You are responsible for the future of Cui Mansion, and you will fly high and far in the future, beyond words."

But he said: "It's cold and misty at high places, and the road is steep. A-Miao, even I'm afraid."

She said: "You have ancestors to pave the way and close friends to accompany you. You will not be alone on this journey."

Cui Muli held her hand like he was holding a soft cloud. He could touch but can't capture it.

Urgency appeared in his eyes, "A-Miao, I just want in this life -"

You.

"Without me." She said as if she is a prophet: "I don't hate you, I don't love you, and I won't accompany you in this life."

His Adam's apple rolled slightly. His long eyes turned red, and even his innate calmness disappeared.

How could this happen?

Xie Miao took back her painfully clenched hand, and in his almost broken eyes, she showed a gentle smile, "Cui Muli, you have to live a good life in the future."

She held up the umbrella and left, but he didn't move at all. After a long time, he raised his head silently.

Live well?