Chapter 88 Settling grudges

The next day, Xie Miao used the excuse of taking Meng Yuantang around the capital, to bring him to the qianzhuang to exchange banknotes.

Meng Yuantang was so complacent that he never thought that the young and innocent little cousin in his memory would set him up - or maybe he felt from the bottom of his heart that a woman whose reputation was manipulated was like a lamb to be slaughtered. Except for admitting defeat obediently, they are unable to stir up the slightest wind or wave.

After all, for a woman, reputation is more valuable than the sky, let alone a mere five thousand taels of silver?

While Meng Yuantang was having a sweet dream, Qiao Mu also learned from Lan Xia that Xie Miao wanted to take Meng Yuantang on a trip.

Lan Xia also complained that since the Young Master Cousin came to the capital, Xie Miao has been visibly partial to Fu Lu. She often whispered to her in the room, and she didn't know what they were discussing.

Qiao Mu pretended not to know, but in fact he knew very well: Miss Cousin must have been afraid that Lan Xia would be quick to talk and would say all the things she shouldn't have said. During this period of time, he had learned a lot from Lan Xia's mouth...

Thinking of this, Qiao Mu frowned and sighed.

That day, he talked to Lan Xia in private, hoping to find out about the relationship between Miss Cousin and Young Master Meng. Unexpectedly, it was confirmed that the two were very close to each other. What's worse, the Young Master happened to hear this conversation.

On the surface, the Young Master was busy with official duties whilst painting and writing in his free time. However, both he and Shen Yang could sense that the Young Master was in low spirits even if his appearance was as if nothing had happened.

Even so, the Young Master treated Miss Su as before, with no pretence of rhetoric.

Qiao Mu was so troubled that he risked being punished. Taking advantage of the time Cui Muli took to drink medicine, he told about Xie Miao and Meng Yuantang having an outing together.

Cui Muli stayed out of the matter and blocked Qiao Mu's good intentions by saying "it has nothing to do with me."

......Fine.

Qiao Mu had no choice but to retreat.

Not long after, Shen Yang came in. He clasped his fists and said, "Young Master, the person you sent to Pingjiang to find out the information is back. Do you want him to report to you immediately?"

The medicinal taste in his mouth had not dissipated, spreading from the tip of his tongue to the bottom of his heart. Cui Muli took a sip of tea and said in a calm voice, "No need."

Now that you know the truth, why bother asking for trouble?

He unfolded the "Hundred Scenes of Jiangnan" that he had copied half-way through. In the shade of the spring sunlight, the lines outlined lifelike characters. Obviously the faces were indistinct and unable to be seen clearly, but at a certain moment, the images transformed into a vivid and lively picture. Happiness or anger on every face as appropriate.

She is coquettish, she is angry, she is happy, she is sad, she is calm, she is clever...

Has Meng Yuantang ever seen all kinds of Xie Miao? No, he should have seen more of her. From the age of nine to twelve, they lived together day and night for three years. When her close relatives deliberately made things difficult for her, Meng Yuantang stepped forward bravely and provided help when she most needed it.

As for him, when she called him cousin in the past, did she think of Meng Yuantang in Pingjiang when she looked at his face?

Thick ink dripped from the tip of the pen and melted into the painting, destroying a spring scene.