Chapter 77 Growing old

Birthday.

Xie Miao carries a sixteen-year-old body, but her soul looked back on herself as a girl through the distant years.

When she was fifteen years old, Madam Xie held a hairpin ceremony for her and personally inserted the hairpin and picked out the words for her. There were not many people watching the ceremony, and even fewer who sincerely congratulated her. But she was still so satisfied. She collected every gift and hid it at the bottom of the chest as if it were a treasure.

She remembered that Cui Muli had given her an emerald jade hairpin inlaid with jewellery, which was exquisite, precious and brilliant. She liked it so much that she wiped it with a silk handkerchief every day, and was reluctant to wear it. She only took it out and looked at it over and over again.

After marrying Cui Muli, she owned more and more things and it became more and more valuable, but she could never regain her original joy.

After reviving her life, she finally understood that glory, wealth, and honour were all external things, and it was important to live in peace.

Fu Lu chose a water-red skirt for her today, and Xie Miao did not refused. She dressed up prettily and went to greet Madam Xie and Madam Cui.

Madam Cui and the Madams all bestowed gifts, and the ladies in each room also expressed likewise, even Cui Xijun was no exception.

Xie Miao accepted politely and returned to Haihua Yuan. Just as she was instructing Lan Xia to pack her things, she heard from her maids that Cui Xining was visiting.

"A-Miao." Cui Xining came in holding a long brocade box and said with a smile: "I still have gifts to give you."

Xie Miao stood up and faced her, "Didn't you already give it?"

Cui Xining put the brocade box on the table and said with a smile: "Oh, how can anyone think that there are too many gifts?"

She opened the lid and revealed the foggy blue cracked Ru kiln vase inside, "I saw it in Baochang Pavilion a few days ago. I can tell at a glance that you would like it. It's perfect for arranging flowers on weekdays."

Xie Miao said distressedly: "The things in Baochang Pavilion are so expensive, why waste money?"

Cui Xining gave her a scolding look and whispered in her ear: "You are a great benefactor to me and Shen Lang, so what if I spend a little money?"

Xie Miao dismissed the maids and sat with her at the table to drink tea, "What's your situation now?"

Cui Xining said: "It's not what you think...my grandfather admires Shen Lang and intends to marry me to him, but my mother and father went to check Shen Lang's family background and refused to let go."

Xie Miao pondered for a moment and said: "Sun Shenyuan still has two years to take the imperial examination. You will be nineteen by then..."

Cui Xining said stubbornly: "So what if I'm nineteen? If I don't get to marry Shen Lang, I would rather give up secular life and become a nun."

Xie Miao: No, you can't steal my goal.

She held Cui Xining's hand and said sincerely: "Don't worry, you will definitely be able to make your dream come true and marry Sun Shenyuan smoothly."

"Then I'll take your word for it." Cui Xining lowered her eyes shyly, "When I get married, as a sister, you have to help me with my makeup."

Xie Miao was thinking about the possibility of a nun coming to add makeup to the Cui family's young lady.