Chapter 14 Impudence

There was a private seat on the second floor. The young man made tea and retired. A tall man about thirty years old with a long face came up to them with a smile, "Hello Ladies, I am Jiang Xiao, the steward here. I wonder what you two want to see today?"

Cui Xining said: "It will be my grandmother's sixtieth birthday in a few days. Is there anything suitable to give as a gift?"

"What a coincidence, there really is one." Manager Jiang said with a smile: "Yesterday, a statue of the three gods of fortune, prosperity, and longevity was transported from Zhongzhou. It is extremely auspicious to give it to an elder on their birthday."

Cui Xining said: "Bring it here and I'll take a look."

After Manager Jiang walked away, Cui Xining whispered: "The things here are more exquisite than other places, but the prices are quite high. It would be a good gift for grandma."

Cui Xining's father, Master Cui Shida, was not an official and had average talents. He usually managed the Cui family's property and was quite rigid and stubborn. He has been extremely strict with his children since they were young and is quite stingy with money.

In contrast, Second Master Cui Shishuo is polite and open-minded. Third Master Cui Shiren is approachable, and they are much easier to get along with than First Master Cui.

Not long after, two teenagers came in holding four or five mahogany boxes, and Manager Jiang opened the largest one.

"Two ladies, take a closer look."

It is a natural white ice jade statue of good fortune, wealth and longevity, with a rosewood base and an inscription: Good luck and good fortune. All the best, may you be happy forever.

Cui Xining looked at it carefully and asked: "Which master's work is it?"

Manager Jiang said: "It was created by Luo Minsheng, the master sculptor of Zhongzhou."

Luo Minsheng is a famous sculptor in recent years, and his works are particularly sought after by people in the capital.

Cui Xining's eyes showed satisfaction, "Wrap it up for me."

Manager Jiang's smile became friendlier, "You two ladies, there are some trinkets here, you might as well take a look at them together."

The two young men put the boxes on the table, and Manager Jiang took them out. They were a gold hairpin inlaid with butterfly oysters, a pair of emerald pearl earrings with light smoked purple chalcedony, a xiuyu freshwater pearl waistband, and a small and exquisite, bright red agate fawn play piece.

Cui Xining picked up the purple chalcedony dotted emerald pearl earrings and asked Xie Miao, "Do they look good?"

She wore a deep purple jacket with vine grass, and matched it with light smoked purple chalcedony dotted emerald pearl earrings. The depths overlapped and complemented each other.

Xie Miao nodded and said: "It looks good."

Cui Xining said happily: "I want this too."

She lingered on the xiuyu freshwater pearl waistband a few more times, hesitated for a moment, and finally said: "I've made my choice, Xie Miao, what about you?"

Xie Miao was very interested in the agate baby deer, which was about the size of two fingers. It would be a perfect gift for her unborn brother as a toy.

"How much is this agate deer?"

"This is Xizhou red agate. The output is small and the quality is high. Look at it, it is crystal clear and has no impurities. If you go to the black market, it will cost you five hundred silver." Manager Jiang looked sincere, "Here it is only three hundred taels."