Chapter 17 Doing business

The good news of Madam Xie's pregnancy slightly diluted Cui Shishuo's gloom caused by Zhang Xianzong's promotion to Left Prime Minister. He simply took leave and stayed with Madam Xie in the mansion. It was not until Madam Xie couldn't stand the nagging that he returned to the Ministry of Civil Affairs angrily.

It had been many years after marrying into the Cui Mansion that Madam Xie got pregnant. Madam Cui naturally protected her like a treasure. One moment, she was exempted from greeting her in the morning and evening, and the next moment, she was asked to share the internal affairs in her hands - yes, it was to share, not to hand over everything.

After the birthday banquet, Madam Xie had a lot of leisure time. Now that she has shared some of the housework, she spent most of her time resting every day. People who are used to being busy all day long are suddenly free, and are quite uncomfortable. Xie Miao often goes to the courtyard to chat with her, which can pass the time.

Five or six days later, Xie Miao secretly brought up the topic of Fang Zhiruo.

At that time, Xie Miao was watching Madam Xie make small clothing for her younger brother. She rested her chin on one hand and seemed to be chatting carelessly, "Aunt, have you ever heard of Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop?"

Madam Xie cut the fabric along the traced line, and kept moving, saying: "Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop? No."

That means that the Shuxiang Papermaking Workshop has not yet developed. Well, that's good news.

Xie Miao was overjoyed and said, "I have heard that the shopkeeper of this paper mill is a girl named Fang Zhiruo."

Hearing this, Madam Xie put down the scissors in her hand and said in surprise: "A family's daughter? Papermaking?"

No wonder Madam Xie was surprised. Even though people in Da Qi were lax in guarding against men and women, it was still rare for a family's daughter to show up to do business. Even if there are, they are mostly to do with rouge, gouache, clothes, and jewellery. There was no school for girls in this dynasty, and studying and being an official were all men's business. Therefore, almost no women were involved in paper-making and ink-making.

Seeing the fish take the bait, Xie Miao said with admiration: "Yes, I heard that she is a very powerful woman. She inherited her father's mantle and made paper and books. She has good skills."

She poured a cup of hot tea for Madam Xie. Madam Xie took it and slowly used the tea lid to skim the foam, "Doesn't she have a brother?"

"...Probably not." Xie Miao added: "Her father passed on all his skills to her. She can make paper, and she can make it with her own hands. She can also develop new paper, which is no worse than a man."

"It's a pity after all."

Xie Miao: ?

"Why is it a pity?"

"Sooner or later she will get married. How can she continue making paper after getting married?"

"Why not?"

Madam Xie picked up a candied fruit and bit off a piece. She pursed her lips and continued: "Her husband's family will not allow it."

"Not necessarily, right?"

"It's possible to marry a businessman, but marrying into an official family is out of the question."

Well.

Xie Miao deeply suspected that Madam Xie was beating herself up, but she had no evidence.

She had no choice but to say: "Then don't get married. Regardless of whether you are a merchant or an official, if you don't get married you can continue making paper. If you don't get married you can run a paper mill. If you don't get married you can make a fortune and become the number one businesswoman in the capital!"