Chapter 17- Went For A Run

I stared up at the tent ceiling. My mind blank. Jason basically threw me into his tent with Taylor. He wanted me to rest and that wasn't going to happen. I had to amputate my best-friends arm. I found out that one of the men I may have liked was one of the biggest assholes I've ever met.

It's not like I had a large variety of men to choose from. I was probably going to end up as a lonely walker lady at this point.

Taylor used to joke with me that we'd grow old and alone with thirty cats, but now it looks like I'll have thirty walkers.

I glanced over at Taylor, to see she was curled up beside me in a ball, her hand in mine and her stump clutched to her chest.

I pulled a strand of hair out her face and she stirred in her sleep. I lifted my head to see if Jason was still standing outside the tent. Sure enough I saw his knife twirling around his silhouette.

I laid my head back down, shut my eyes and tried to sleep. But of course, my mind wouldn't let me. I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn't sleep. I stood up and pulled my hair back into a braid.

I needed Jason to leave so I could get out. I very quietly unzipped the tent. I crept to the back of the tent and hit it hard, creating a weird sound.

Jason walked around to the back to investigate and I ran out of the tent and to the RV.

I hid behind it and held my breath. The sun was starting to come out and almost everyone was awake, if they slept at all. I looked back to the tent and Jason was freaking out, putting the pieces and knowing that I left the tent.

He stormed over to Rick and accused him of whatever, but Rick shook his head and Jason sighed. Jason turned to go back to protecting Taylor at the tent, assuming that I had escaped and wouldn't be coming back.

All I wanted to do at this point was let out my frustrations, and the only way to do that was to run. I crept around the RV and ran into the woods. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I ran until my lungs were burning and I tasted blood. I stopped for a moment, catching my breath.

"You run fast, that'll come in handy later." A deep, southern voice drawled from behind. The voice scared me and I yanked my sword off my back for protection.

"Relax." The voice chuckled.

I turned and pointed my sword at the dark figure leaning against a tree. The man let out a chuckle and stepped forward.

Daryl's blue eyes sparkled in the soft, morning light as I slid my sword back into it's sheath. "What are you doin'?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "What are you, my mother?"

He shrugged and started to walk away. "Sorry 'bout your friend."

I sighed and followed after him. "Don't be. Wasn't your fault." I muttered.

He nodded in agreement and we walked in silence for a bit. Why the hell would a Dixon boy be out in the middle of the woods? I eventually came to the conclusion that he was following me. Theres no way we coincidentally found each other in the woods.

"So why'd you follow me?" I finally asked, not making eye contact with the blue-eyed man.

"Cause you went through some bad shit yesterday, you coulda hurt yourself." He mumbled.

I pursed my lips and continued to stare at the forest floor. Daryl Dixon cared about me? Did he have feelings for me? I turned my frown around into a small smirk.

Maybe if a badass zombie killer had feelings for me, I wouldn't end up like a lonely walker lady. "So Daryl, got any girlfriends?" I asked bluntly

He stared ahead, and froze for a moment before continuing on with his steady pace. "Why?"

I shrugged, "Just curious."

Daryl didn't say anything for a long while after that, just stared at the ground or up ahead.

We got back near the cars and Shane was arguing with Rick. Jason was doing something to Taylor's arm and he looked up when I stepped out of the bush.

"Where the hell have you been?" He yelled. Taylor turned around, her eyes looking empty and lost.

"I went on a run." I commented.

Daryl snickered and Jason walked over to Daryl. "You got something to say? Why were you with her?" He yelled.

Daryl crossed his arms and stepped towards Jason, standing his ground. "Stoppin' her from doin' somethin' stupid."

Jason glared at Daryl and I rolled my eyes. I walked closer to Taylor, ignoring the overly protective male behind me. "How you feeling?"

She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Okay, thanks to you."

I smiled at her gently. Taylor's usual neat, blonde hair was messy and slick with mud and blood. Her blue eyes empty and her body language was insecure.

She lost one of her hands so I should have figured she'd be a mess. I sighed and looked at her hand. There was some kind of armor protecting her arm. "Did Jason make that?" I whispered.

She nodded, "I think I'll attach a knife or something to it."

I passed her my italian knife and she waited for me to do something. "Hey Dale!" I shouted.

He wandered over, concern on the old mans face. "Whats wrong?" Dale asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Do you have any duct tape?"

He laughed and walked to the RV, before returning with a roll of duct tape. "Here, Mariah."

I smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you Dale." He smiled simply and walked away.

I quickly stuck my italian knife to Taylor's makeshift arm. "Tada!" I grinned. The knife was perfect, it was long enough to stab walkers from a safe distance but short enough so she wouldn't hurt herself.

"At least it took my left hand and not my right." She murmured.

I smiled and stepped back. "Now you really do look badass."