Chapter 118- Under Attack

I kneeled down in front of Victoria and bundled her up in the tiny winter coat that was in her suit case.

"No matter what, you stay with Hershel Tayler and Carl understand?" I asked her sternly.

She nodded and ran over to Hershel, I sighed and Carl slammed the trunk beside me. I watched Carl storm away from us to Hershel, Tayler was already in the car.

She hadn't said much since I told her of Merle's fate, I knew she was hurting I just wish I could do something about it.

"Ready?" Maggie asked me as she looked at Hershel and Carl getting into the car.

I nodded and grabbed a sniper rifle from the top of the gun pile. I started to walk to the guard tower but was stopped by Daryl.

"I'll see ya when this is all over okay?" Daryl asked.

I nodded and gave him a soft kiss "I love you." I whispered to him before starting towards the guard tower.

I reached the bottom of the guard tower and opened the door. I grabbed the nearest chair and leaned it against the door to make sure no one could get in.

I loaded the sniper rifle and sat on the steps. I replayed Rick's instructions in my head over and over.

Stay at the bottom, wait till you hear gun fire then go up. Stay hidden and take out as many as you can, this is not a game.

At first I was confused on why Rick didn't want me going to the top at first and then I clued in.

The Governor wasn't a stupid man, if anything he was smart. The first thing he would do is probably shoot at the guard towers or the walk way to make sure no one's going to snipe at them.

I heard the sound of our trucks rolling away and listened to the sound of my breathing.

I shut my eyes and relaxed my muscles as I thought of peace and quiet. After this fight, there would be no threat looming over our heads.

There would finally be such a thing as peace in the Prison, I can't wait till I can just curl up in a ball and read a book.

The low grumble of a truck approaching made me snap out of my trance.

Was Hershel coming back to get supplies? I jumped when the sound of a explosion sounded right beside me.

What the hell was that? Then another explosion, this time it was my tower. The ground shook under neath me and I tumbled to the ground.

Thank god Rick was right or I would be toast right now, literally. I took a deep breath and waited for the explosions to stop.

A second later gun fire erupted from outside and I slid to my knees.

It went for a few more moments then it ceased. Rather than the sound of gunshots I heard yelling.

They were going in. I got up off the floor and started to go up the stairs slowly one by one.

I finally reached the top and slowly pushed the hatch open. I braced myself for any kind of impact but nothing came.

I got out of the hole and shut it quickly. I aimed my gun at the trucks but no one stood there.

I huffed a sigh of relief and aimed for the Prison gates, any moment now they booby traps will go off and I'll have to start shooting.

I waited and waited but the sounds never came. I stayed in position though, if they did come out I didn't want to miss them.

A loud banging sound sounded and I started to hear the screams of the solider's as they rushed out of the building.

I waited for only a second and a solider ran darted out in front. I aimed the little red dot on the scope near their head and pulled the trigger.

The sound erupted in my ears and the solider fell to the ground. Another one darted out, I lined the scope up with their head and pulled the trigger.

Several more darted out and I clicked the trigger again. A shot sounded from the ground and I looked to see the Governor taking shots at me.

I ducked down and reloaded, this was it. I aimed my gun at the Governors head and took a deep breath I pulled the trigger but he didn't fall, instead a kid no older than Beth fell to the ground.

I swore under my breath and reloaded, I had lost my chance to change things.

I searched for him again but had no success, the truck was loaded with people and they were driving away as fast as possible.

I blinked from surprise when no other people stood in the yard and stood up.

Maggie and Glenn ran out into the yard and gave me the okay signal. I grinned and made my way down the stairs and removed the chair.

I ran to the yard and embraced them both. "We did it!" Glenn cheered. I giggled and looked at the rest of the group as the came out of the Prison.

"They're gone?" Carol asked hopefully, I grinned and kissed Daryl softly on the cheek.

"We should go after 'em." Daryl suggested.

"They won't expect it." I added.

Rick nodded and Hershel's car came roaring down the road towards us.

"Let's go then." Rick ordered, glancing at the vehicle speeding towards us.