Chapter 120- Keep us Safe

I watched Victoria play with Daryl as I helped Sasha unpack into her cell. "It's going to be good around here, I can already tell." She said positively.

I smiled and laid a picture frame of her and Tyreese on the small table in her room. "Let's just hope this will all work out." I replied as I gazed at the picture.

"MARIAH!" Rick's voice boomed from the hallway.

"Um I'll see you around then." Sasha mumbled as she gazed at the door way.

I nodded good bye and quickly ran outside to Rick. "Whats wrong?" I asked as I walked closer to Rick.

"Look, um here found this laying outside." Rick said as he held my mothers amulet to me.

I raised my eyebrow and felt my neckline to discover the amulet wasn't there.

I gently took it from Rick's hand and wrapped it around. "Must have fallen off." I whispered as I smiled down at the silver necklace.

Rick nodded and I glanced down at the ground. "Rick, um what are we going to do with Michonne?" I asked as I glanced at the women's katana.

"She's one of us, Carl even said it himself." Rick replied cooly. I smiled and stretched out my neck. "Look I gotta go make a list of what we need to get done around here." He muttered as he started to walk away.

"Add bathrooms onto that list!" I yelled to him as he walked away. I heard him chuckle and I turned too look at Daryl and Victoria.

He had captured Victoria in his arms and she squealed and squirmed as she tried to get away from him.

"You win! You win!" She shouted as Daryl placed her gently on the floor.

"Go along now and play with your new friends." Daryl ordered before giving Victoria a playful push.

She gave him a dirty look before running off to see some of the children. "If you're all done playing we have to deal with her sleeping arrangements." I yelled as Daryl started to walk towards me.

He rolled his eyes and turned to go up the stairs. I quickly followed after him and looked at the cramped living quarters.

"We could make her a bed and put it here. She said she's too scared to go anywhere else." Daryl commented smoothly as he kicked a dirty shirt out of the way.

"Agreed, I'll go grab one." I suggested before bouncing down the steps to go outside.

I grabbed a tiny bed Rick had brought back from Woodbury and carefully lifted it up.

I gazed at the sun that was starting to set and marveled at the beautiful blue sky.

I snapped out of my trance and I dragged it inside. Daryl plucked it out of my arms and started to maneuver it up the stairs.

When he finally got to the top he pushed it into the room and placed it in the corner.

"That looks good." I said as I nodded my head in approval.

"Can we go outside? The sunset looks beautiful." I asked as I played with my amulet.

He nodded and we made our way outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The long grass tickled my legs as Daryl and I watched the sunset. We sat in the graveyard beside Merle and Jason's graves.

We watched the orange and pink light streak across the sky, creating a true masterpiece.

"So what now?" Daryl asked as he wrapped his arm around me.

"We keep going." I replied.

Daryl smiled and I snuggled closer to him "I can't believe she died as well." Daryl muttered under his breath.

"I know, I didn't think Andrea was ever going to die." I said. "She was strong." I added.

"We're all strong now." Daryl croaked. I brought my knee up to my chest and leaned in closer to Daryl.

"Ya know, I think Tori think's that we're her new ma and pa." Daryl said before breaking into laughter.

I laughed with him before I pulled a piece of grass out of the ground and twirled it with my fingers.

"I hope not. I don't want to get attached." I muttered.

"Hard not to with those baby blues of hers." Daryl added.

I laughed and picked at the pieces of grass "I hope she doesn't forget about her mother. I don't feel like explaining that memory to her." I replied.

Daryl nodded and looked at the ground "We got a lot of shit to do round here." He murmured.

I nodded in agreement and looked at the Prison. "We're going to get this place going, and when we do theres going to be no stopping us." I replied.

"Oh, did you um see Jenny while you were there?" I asked curiously, he sighed and shook his head.

"Must of run off with her Woodbury traitors." Daryl spat. I rolled my eyes playfully and ran my hand through my messy hair.

"I can't wait to get this place up and running." I whispered to Daryl as I closed my eyes and laid my head on his chest.

His soft voice chimed out "Me neither."

Some how I felt complete serenity for the first time in a year. I finally feel at peace, maybe its because I have something to fight for or maybe its because we've won but either way I felt like the war that was raging deep inside me had finally ended.

I had a life now, with my family. I did have things to fight for, I'm so thankful I didn't stay behind at the CDC.

A smile spread across my face as the sun went below the tree line.

I could sit outside with Daryl, feel the cool summer breeze and I could feel at ease.

We were going to make this Prison work, whether it kills me or not. These walls are going to keep us safe... I hope.