Chapter 73- Home Sweet Home

We survived the winter, but only barely. We moved around all the time, scavenging houses for any kind of supplies.

We never stayed in the same place twice, since we always picked the houses clean.

Lori got larger as her pregnancy developed, getting slower and unable to fight.

I made sure she had my food, I was not letting herself or the baby die I don't think I could live with myself.

My leg healed, the only thing left was tow nasty battle scars. Ryan barley talked, he stayed by Rick's side and obeyed every order.

Maybe he was getting his ass back up into shape. I wouldn't say Daryl and I drifted apart, but when Jenny went free I felt a little part of him went with her.

I never brought it up though, it would only cause a fight, a fight I never want to have. Daryl squirmed in front of me on the motorcycle, distracting me from my thoughts.

"Almost there!" He shouted over his shoulder. I nodded and looked behind me.

The only vehicles we had followed after us. We pulled in front of a few houses and I signalled to the group we were going in the other way.

Daryl sped up and went around the house. He quickly parked the motorcycle and we hopped off.

I quickly took the bow Daryl had made me to replace my swords. No one had taken them from the house, it's as if they were stolen.

I pulled the string back and let Daryl dispose of the few walkers stumbling towards us.

He ran to the house and I quickly followed him inside. He kicked the door open and I sent the first arrow flying through the air, hitting a walker in the head.

An arrow quickly knifed the other one and we walked down a small hallway. A thump came from the other side and I readied my bow for either walkers or anyone else.

The door burst open and Rick stood there, prepared to shoot Daryl in the head, probably thinking he was a walker.

I lowered my weapon and walked into the other part of the house. Carl walked into the kitchen and I sat down in the living room.

I studied the area and took count of how many arrows I had. I only had about twenty, and I couldn't afford to loose any more.

The rest of the group walked in and Carl followed a second later. He had a can of dog food in hand.

My stomach rumbled and even though it was dog food, I would be happy to eat it.

I moved closer and reached for the can, but Rick got there first. He picked it up, studied it then threw it to the side.

I frowned and sat back down. Daryl walked in a moment later, a bird with majority of its feathers plucked off. Daryl walked over and leaned against the wall next to me. He looked out the window and nudged me.

Several walkers stumbled towards the house and I got up and headed outside immediately.

A hopped on the motorcycle and Daryl handed me the bird. I gaged but held it while he climbed up.

We sped around to the front and started to drive down the road leading to the highway.

After a few minutes Daryl stopped the motorcycle and we climbed off and headed to Rick's vehicle. He opened up the large map we've been using and quickly spread it out. Rick started to debate with T-dog and I walked over to Beth.

"You go with Carl, I'll stand here." I said quietly, sending her over to Carl. She nodded and walked over.

I strung my bow and prepared for any threats lurking around us. Daryl quickly walked over with Rick, "We're goin' huntin', we'll be back in a bit." Daryl announced.

I nodded and handed Daryl a few more arrows.

He frowned and shook his head. "Dammit Daryl, you only have a few left. I have more than enough." I yelled at him.

"Whatever." He muttered and only took one of the arrows I offered him. I shoved the arrows back into my quiver.

Daryl's become more and more stubborn as time passed. He tries to protect me and that's sweet but I'm capable of doing it myself. Daryl stormed off into the woods and Rick followed. Tayler walked over happily and held something behind her back.

"What?" I asked curiously. She pulled out a black leather jacket with two swords on the back.

I smiled and held the jacket. "Thanks, but why are you giving it to me?" I asked as I handed my bow to her.

"Cause you're always wearing Jason or Daryl's jacket. Now you can all be warm." She said.

I laughed and pulled the jacket on. It was a little loose but it would work fine. "Damn I look good in leather." I joked. Tayler rolled her eyes and handed me back my bow.

I smiled and quickly threw my quiver over my back. I took the bow and Allison walked over, a worried look on her face.

"Where's Rick?!" She asked in alarm. I rolled my eyes and pointed to the forest.

Its no secret that Allison has a little crush on Rick, Lori and Rick doesn't see it but I'm sure everyone else does.

"He just went hunting." I said boringly. She frowned and looked at my jacket.

"Clothes shopping?" She joked. I smiled and smoothed out the jacket front.

"Nope, just a present." I said happily.

"By my calculations it's almost September, which means your birthday is coming up soon." Tayler announced.

I rolled my eyes and thought about what Tayler just announced. Its been almost two years since I was living a normal life.

I shook my head and looked at the group. "Two years." I said quietly. Allison nodded and looked down at the ground.

"Halloween was Alex's favourite holiday, mine too." She said quietly, I smiled weakly and looked at Carl trying to flirt with Beth.

"I loved christmas, it was the only time of the year I would allow myself to think about my mom." I said quietly.

Tayler poked my arm lightly with her makeshift bayonet. "We could try and have christmas this year." Tayler suggested sweetly.

"It's not the same, it never will be." I said honestly. Tayler frowned and Allison sighed.

Rustling came from the forest and I pointed my bow to the direction. A lone walker stumbled out and I prepared to shoot it but Daryl jumped out at it and stabbed it with ease.

Rick appeared after him. Daryl rushed towards me and I crossed my arms. "Coming to apologize?" I asked.

He frowned and put his crossbow on his back. "Alright I won't tell ya."
Daryl teased, walking beside Rick.

"Tell us what?" Allison asked.

"We found something." Rick said happily. I frowned and looked at Daryl, who's face remained neutral.

"A home." Rick announced.