Chapter 57- A Soft Moan

I touched my check, feeling the sting of the punch. Anger overwhelmed me and I punched him right back. He went to hit me again but I quickly ducked under and punched him in the gut. He gasped for air and kicked my side. I started to loose my balance but shifted so I would stay up. Ryan punched me in the jaw again and I fell backwards. He fell on top of me, squishing the air out of my lungs.

He punched me in the jaw over and over and I started to taste blood. I brought my knee up to his chest and he gasped for air again.

I quickly pushed him off and sat on top of him. I punched him in the stomach and then hit him in the jaw.

I heard Tayler and Daryl shouting at me from across the field and I looked over to see Hershel and Rick holding sticks with walkers on the end of them. The moment I looked away Ryan grabbed my arm and flipped me over. I gasped for air as Ryan punched me in the gut.

He reached over top of me and pulled my hair. What a bitch move. I screamed out and he put his arm against my throat cutting of my air.

I choked and clawed at his arm. He smiled as I started to get dizzy, loosing the will to live. Daryl screamed my name angrily as he tried to get to me. I looked towards him but Ryan grabbed my jaw and twisted my neck forward.

"I want to look at you while the life leaves your eyes." Ryan said smugly. I closed my mouth and collect all the saliva and blood from my mouth. I quickly spit the liquid within my mouth at Ryan's face. He yelled from disgust and wiped his face.

I coughed and took deep breaths. It took me a minute to breath again and Ryan looked down at me.

"You bitch!" He screamed in my face. I continued trying to breath and he slapped me across the face. I clawed at his face trying to push him off when suddenly he was gone. I took deep breaths for a moment and Tayler was at my side instantly.

"Mariah, just breath in and out." She said comfortingly. I nodded and followed her orders. Daryl was on the ground with Glenn, Jimmy, T-Dog, and Andrea holding him down.

Ryan was screaming at Hershel and Rick, a gun in his hand. He finished his rant and pointed it at the walker Hershel had on the leash.

He shot it a few times in the chest. "DOES A SICK PERSON KEEP MOVING LIKE THAT AFTER THEY GET SHOT IN THE CHEST?!" Ryan screamed at Hershel.

Hershel didn't respond he just stared at Ryan. I stood up and started to walk over to Ryan just to have him spin and point his gun at me.

"Back off Mariah, I don't wanna hurt you." He yelled at me. My jaw dropped and I crossed my arms.

"HURT ME?! RYAN YOU JUST BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ME! YOU SAY YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT ME! WELL YOU ALMOST JUST KILLED ME!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, with my voice sounding scratchy and odd.

He ignored me and turned back to the walker he was shooting at. "Enough is enough." He said disgusted.

He shot the walker in the head, making it fall to the ground bringing Hershel down to his knee's.

"WHEN IS IT ENOUGH! Well now it's enough! Enough looking for a little girl that is dead! Enough with corralling walkers until a cure can be found! If you want to survive, you gotta fight for it!" Ryan screamed at the group, going on a rampage.

Ryan stormed over to the barn and took a pickaxe to the lock. "RYAN STOP!" I screamed at him.

Rick screamed at Ryan to stop, pleading for him to come to his senses. But Ryan wasn't stopping anytime soon.

"You're right Ryan! Enough is enough!" I yelled and ran over to him. Just as he broke the door open I got there.

I tackled Ryan to the ground and he pushed me off easily. Daryl ran over to me and helped me up off the ground.

"COME ON!" Ryan yelled at the door. Daryl had a shot gun in his hands as he wrapped his arms around me.

Gun shots rang out and anger filled my insides. I yanked the small handgun out of my belt and squeezed Daryl's hand.

"Let's do this." He looked at me surprised, but I stood beside T-Dog and Daryl shooting at the walkers that came out of the barn.

After a moment, all the walkers were dead no longer struggling to feed on us.

I tucked the gun back in my pocket and looked at the trail of dead bodies. Jason and Tayler came behind me, looking at the mass destruction Ryan just caused.

A soft moan escaped the barn, another walker probably. I turned around and looked up at Jason. He stared at the barn, his jaw dropped and his lip quivering. Tayler started to cry and clung to Jason.

I turned around to see what the fuss was about. A little girl with a blue rainbow t-shirt stumbled towards us.

Sophia.

The girl we had so much hope of finding was now dead no matter how much we wished it wasn't true.

"Sophia!" Carol yelled and started to run towards her. Daryl grabbed her before she could ran by and dragged her to the ground gently, and she sobbed for her dead daughter.

A tear slipped down my face as Sophia quickened her pace at the sight of fresh meat, Rick started to walk forward slowly, his python drawn.

He took a deep breath and shot Sophia in the head, making her fall to the ground.