Old Phantoms - Leonardo

"YAS! Take that, Dr. Draken!" I whooped, cheering as Kim Possible took out another baddie. I reached into my popcorn bag, not phased when I managed to grab the last tiny kernels in the bag. I only shrugged, leaning against my popcorn-thriving boyfriend with a big smile on my face.

I felt vibrating from somewhere on the couch, and softly pushed Leo aside to reach my phone. Most likely, the call was from another one of my friends asking where I'd been.

My entire body went stiff when I found my mom's contact light up the screen.

I gulped, and Leo took notice of my anxiety, his face morphing from calm happiness to frenzied worry. I held up a hand, telling him silently that I could handle this, before hitting the green button and holding the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Y/N M/N L/N," my mom barked, "Where have you been?!"

I took a deep breath and began the fake story I'd rehearsed for weeks now in preparation for this conversation. "Listen Mom, I applied to a drama school in California, and I found out last month that I got in. I knew you'd be angry, so I saved up and decided to leave on my own. I know you're mad, but-"

"Oh, 'mad' doesn't even cover it, young lady!" My mother shouted, "Your father and I are absolutely FURIOUS! What happened to taking over the family business, hm?!"

"I never wanted to take over the business," I replied automatically, "And you and Dad knew that."

"Well, at least don't give me that bull crap about you going to another school," She snapped, making my heart pound rapidly, "I bet you just hooked up with a total player and decided to follow him across the country."

"He is NOT a player!" I couldn't help arguing, my earlier cover-up story forgotten, "He's the most caring and responsible boyfriend in the world, and I love him more than anything."

"Right," I could hear Mom's tone dripping with smugness, "He's probably the center of your entire world, right? But don't come crying to us if he leaves you, Y/N, because that's bound to happen sometime."

I gasped, biting back angry tears as I shouted, "Leonardo loves me, and I know it. Which is a lot more than I can say about you."

"Well then," My mom cried angrily, "You have fun with 'Leonardo', whoever he is. Don't bother calling me back, since you obviously love him more than your own parents. Heck, don't even bother coming back."

"No! Mom please listen, I-"

I was cut off my a click on the other line, and then a monotone beep.

I choked back a sob, my hands shaking as I dropped the phone and flopped back on the couch, burying my head in my arms and beginning to cry. I felt strong arms pull me gently against a hard plastron, and glanced up to see Leonardo, his blue eyes communicating as much sadness as I felt. I melted into his embrace, shoulders shaking as I cried into his chest.

"They don't want me back," I sobbed, "I don't have a family anymore..."

"Of course you do," Leo murmured soothingly, "You have Mikey, and Donnie, and Raph, even the other girls. You have Splinter.... And you have me. You'll never be alone, okay?"

I sniffled, snuggling closer, whispering, "Okay."