Trouble In Paradise - Donatello

8 months later...

"It's perfect!"

"Thanks," I blushed, kissing my boyfriend on the cheek, before turning back to the huge, paint-covered canvas, brushes in hand, "Wow, I can't believe I'll actually get to be featured in an art gallery..."

"It's no surprise," Donnie smiled, "Your work is marvelous, after all."

The redness on my cheeks brightened, as I leaned over slowly, my lips nearing his at the most careful pace...

Beep. Beep beep.

Donnie pulled back at the last minute, earlier affection totally forgotten as he pulled out his new-and-improved T-Phone and scrolling through his multitude of messages.

"Wow!" He exclaimed, "The retro-mutagen I synthesized is getting an award! The head of the Science department at NYU just sent me the PDF of the announcement! Look!"

He thrust the phone at me, and I was only able to catch the smallest glance of a long letter, though I tried to be enthusiastic as i could.

"That's amazing!" I took his free hand gently, giving it a small squeeze, along with a smile, "When will you be accepting the award?"

"Let's see...," Donnie's fingers slipped out of mine as he checked through the message again, "It says here it's next Friday night."

My heart sank. "But...but that's when the gallery opens."

"Oh, is it?" He mumbled, eyes still glued to the phone screen.

I frowned, slightly offended - he honestly hadn't remembered the date of one of the most important points of my art career?

"Yeah, it is," I crossed my arms, "And you said you would be there..."

"Y/N sweetheart, I'm so sorry," Donnie finally looked up at me, "But you won't mind, right? It's a huge accomplishment, after all."

"I-It's a huge accomplishment for me too," I scoffed, beginning to get irritated.

"I can see your art all the time," He reasoned, pocketing his phone within his newly-acquired lab coat, "And besides, look at it logically - a major scientific breakthrough, or a little gallery?" D turned away, rambling as he gathered a bit of paperwork, "The Professor wants to see me now, to--"

"Did you really just say that to me?"

"Hm?"

My mouth hung agape at his unthoughtful words. "Just a little art gallery? Are you kidding me?! I've been waiting for this moment my whole life! And you just brush it off like it's nothing?"

"I've been waiting for this too, Y/N!" Donnie glared slightly, "Do you know how long I've been waiting for this chance?"

"Who was it I heard at the beginning of all of this, talking about not wanting to be held up on a pedestal? About only wanting to make a difference?"

"I've made a difference," Donnie's voice rose in volume, "And who's the one on the pedestal?"

"You!" I cried, "You are the one blowing off your girlfriend to accept some award, after all!"

"Some award?" He asked incredulously, "It's an achievement most people wait for their entire lives!"

"So then why can't you wait for one more day? You have the authority to postpone the ceremony, don't you?"

"I am not going to work my schedule around your petty needs!" He snapped, piling his notes into a stack.

"Petty needs?!"

"Yes!" Donnie shouted, "You're the one who's insisting on me being there to compliment your all-glorified paintings!"

I froze, "What, so you don't want me there to see you go up for an award?"

A small flicker of hesitance flitted in Donatello's russet eyes, before he made up his mind and piled his research into his arms. "If you won't support my accomplishments, I can't support yours. So I couldn't care less if you showed up, I suppose."

And with that, he stomped out, leaving me with my heart shattered.