{Maybe I'm Amazed} - Raphael

"I was wrong."

"Yep."

"I was completely stupid."

"Yep."

"I shouldn't have done that."

"Yep."

Raph huffed. "Will you please say something more than 'yep'? I'm trying to be a good boyfriend, here."

"Too late," I frowned at him, "You already screwed up that chance."

Raphael buried his face in his palms, looking back up at me with a slightly pleading look.

"I guess this is pointless then, trying to make up for everything I did?"

"Yep."

Raph shot me a dismal glance, to which I replied with a raised brow, challenging him to argue his way out of this. I sat on his bed, nose turned up indignantly while I looked anywhere but at him.

"Well, I'm gonna try anyway. I can't lose you, Y/N. The moment I met you, I knew you were different. It amazes me to this day, how talented you are, and compassionate, and drop-dead gorgeous. I'm... I'm not good enough for you. I knew that when I first met you too. I thought I didn't stand a chance, being what I am and acting they way I do. You proved me wrong, agreeing to go out with me anyways. And then I went and pulled that crap a week ago, but I'm still head-over-heels for you. So, I'm not gonna stop trying," Raph declared, crossing his arms and anxiously awaiting my response.

In truth, his words sent my heart racing. It was on of the rare and treasured times Raphael had actually fully opened up, regardless of the tough-guy reputation he insisted on upholding. Truthfully, I'd had enough of this grudge I'd been holding against him. Truthfully, I wanted to bolt to my feet, rush into his arms, and never let him let me go.

But I remained in my seat on his mattress, staring blankly at him, too exhausted with this entire angry-girlfriend facade to try adding any emotion to my expression.

Raph's shoulders slumped his shoulders dejectedly, hands falling back to his sides. His eyes raked over my face, searching for any sign that his words had gotten through to me. I finally had to look away, standing and muttering, "I'm hungry," As a last-minute excuse to exit this awkward situation I'd become ensnared in.

"Hang on," He told me softly, voice low and quiet and unusual for the Raph I knew. I stopped in my tracks, though my back remained turned to him.

"Please," He continued, "Let me make it up to you."

I remained glued to the floor beneath me, which I suppose Raph took as an affirmative for him to continue. I heard scuffling behind me, frenzied and hasty, a muttered curse when something crashed to the floor, and finally, I heard the most familiar sound of the piano keys. I slowly turned around, spotting Raph at the bench of my dusty keyboard, formerly stuffed in the back of his closet. It had been months since I'd played last - or that he and I sat at the instrument together, while I tried to focus him enough to learn a chord.

Raph gave me a smirk that seemed like more of a nervous grimace, laying his abnormal hands on the piano. He began to play, and though the music consisted mostly of him jabbing at a maximum of two keys with his one hand and slowly picking out a somewhat chaotic melody with the other, I could plainly make out the Paul McCartney song. I had to seal my lips shut to keep from instantly singing along.

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time
Maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you
Maybe I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time
And hung me on a line
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you...

At that point, Raph's piano-playing skills began to fail him. His fingers slipped over the keys clumsily, and he huffed at the lack of finesse in his performance. I tried to hide my amused smile, reluctantly sliding onto the bench beside him. I steadied his hands and guided him to the right place on the piano, listening to the smoother rhythm of the song, unable to hold back from quietly cooing along, changing the original lyrics slightly:

"Maybe I'm a girl and maybe I'm a lonely girl
Who's in the middle of something
That she doesn't really understand
Maybe I'm a girl and maybe you're the only one
Who could ever help me
Baby won't you help me understand..."

Raphael grinned over at me, now completely bent on keeping the tempo so that I could add my voice. Seeing him smile at me, it was obvious this was his plan all along - after all, he never had been the best singer, and when it came to musicality, the next best thing for him had probably been to get me into the music too.

With the slight lull between the lyrics, I realized  he was staring intently at me, with an intensity that could've only meant one thing - every word escaping from my mouth, was believed in Raph's heart of hearts. He'd meant every single word he said earlier, and though he sometimes wasn't all that great at expressing it, he truly did find me amazing.

"Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song
Right me when I'm wrong
Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you..."

I placed my hand atop his, stopping the music pouring from my little keyboard and giving Raphael a long kiss, equally amazed that I'd been lucky enough to fall for a soft, sometimes stupid, and always protective hothead like him.

Song: Maybe I'm Amazed, by Paul McCartney (though I used the version I knew from this movie called Joyful Noise)