Bent, Not Broken - Donatello

The sea water sloshed over my toes as I kicked my legs back and forth on the dock, a distant bell clanging behind me as I stared out at the ocean. My tears mingled with the seawater below me as I cried, though no sounds escaped my lips. I wiped my nose on the sleeve of my shirt, snuggling into my thin sweatshirt as I considered sinking right through the wooden dock and letting the tides carry me away.

My lip quivered as I thought back to the argument earlier today.

"Stop it!" I shouted, shoving my art supplies out of the way as Donnie knocked more chemicals to the ground in anger, "You're being irrational!"

"Oh, now I'm irrational?" He snapped, pacing back and forth as he attempted to contain his frustration, "I'm irrational for being upset about another failed attempt to make the retromutagen for your father?"

"I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset," I shot back, "But storming around here in a huff every time you fail isn't cool! You get everyone on edge every time your experiments don't go the way you want them to. It's not healthy for you or your brothers or me, and on top of it, you almost ruined my paintings--"

"Ugh!" Donnie whirled around to face me, teeth gritted angrily, "You and your paintings! For once, could you quit obsessing over your art to think about what's going on outside your world of paints and pencils?"

I froze, my heart splintering as I responded quietly, "Donnie, my art is my escape. Please don't criticize me for--"

"Your escape?" He repeated, stalking closer to me, "Your ESCAPE? What would you need to escape from? Me?"

"No, not you!" I cried, "There are just some things in my life I'm unhappy about, some things I can't communicate to anyone! I get rid of my demons, my unhappiness, through my sketches!"

"If you're so unhappy about your life, why don't you leave and start a new one? You're always anxious to get out of here, to show off your work, to get away from me. So just go!"

My eyes welled up with tears. "I don't want to leave you! I love you! But--"

"But? There's always a 'but'!"

"--I want to show my skills, make a name for myself!"

"Then by all means," Donnie yelled, "Make a name for yourself. If you're gonna leave, make it quick. I've had enough uncertainty to last a lifetime, so if you wanna get away from me, don't drag it out."

He turned away from me, slamming his palms on the table and leaning over it, shutting me out completely.

I gasped to keep in my sobs, turning on my heel and piling all my supplies into my small messenger bag. D finally turned around as I started to walk out, looking shocked that I'd actually decided to go. I walked briskly toward the living room.

"...Y/N, wait, I didn't..."

He trailed off when I laid my hand on the doorframe, turning to look at him, tears streaming fully now.

"Goodbye, Donatello."

I stared at the waves, standing with my messenger bag in hand, little salt deposits trailing over my feet. Maybe I'd go back to my old apartment - if it wasn't already rented out to someone else. I'd have to learn to control my abilities better...

The tears wouldn't stop running down my cheeks, as I turned to head back into the city - and was met with Donatello.

I gasped, an entirely new onslaught of tears overwhelming me, as he stepped closer.

"I'm sorry," His voice sounded choked as he spoke, stepping toward me once more. I stepped back slightly, increasing the hurt in his eyes.

"Sorry doesn't cover it," I whispered, though I wanted to rush into his arms right then and there.

"I know it doesn't," He replied, eyes cast down, "But I truly am sorry. I was an idiot, I was frustrated, and it doesn't excuse any of what I said, but I want you in my life. I love you more than life itself. I couldn't bear if I lost you because of some stupid thing I said to hurt you."

"I...I..." I burbled uselessly, my emotions getting in the way of proper speech.

Donnie looked away ashamedly. "If you don't want to be with me, I understand. I was a jerk."

He turned, about to trudge away, until my mind finally kicked into gear. I ran over, tackling him in a hug and holding onto him tightly.

I felt his body relax in relief as he hugged me back warmly, nuzzling my hair affectionately. I didn't have to say anything, and neither did he, as we sank back to the ground, still holding eachother. We gazed out over the horizon silently, both of us knowing what the other was feeling.

I was just glad to be back in his arms. And I wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon.