Shell Scratches - Donatello

I set the mug of coffee down in front of Donnie, smiling comfortingly as I sat beside him at the counter. He yawned, leaning slightly against me in exhaustion as he sipped his drink. I hated that he'd made himself stay up through the night again.

"Feeling any better, Seaweed Brain?" I kissed his cheek.

"Yeah," He gave me a tired smile, "Nothing like three cups of pure caffeine to start the day."

I frowned worriedly, giving a hug from the side. "I don't like you staying up so late all the time, D. It's not healthy..."

He only shrugged, not meeting my gaze as he kept staring down at his coffee. He swayed slightly in his seat, sleepiness imminent in his eyes. I raised a brow, rubbing my hand over his shoulders.

"You sure you'll be alright?"

"...mmm hmm..."

I sighed, softly running my fingernails along the edge of his shell comfortingly. Donnie sat straight up suddenly, tilting his head to the side and shivering. I pulled away in surprise.

"What? Did I do something wrong?"

He shook his head quickly, blinking rapidly. "N-no, you didn't."

I smiled mischievously, reaching back over over to scratch along the small patterns on his shell. Donnie hummed with satisfaction, another tremor running through him. I scratched a little harder, my hands moving swiftly over his shell.

A small sound erupted from Donnie's throat as I reached the middle of his shell, almost a growl, but not quite as loud, and not at all hostile. I laughed as he turned to me, a dreamy smile now flitting across his features.

"So," I observed, pecking his lips, "I'm guessing you like your shell scratched, hm?"

Donnie only nodded, blushing slightly as he grinned bashfully at me.