Departure - All

(So...I ran out of room in this book X'D. I'll be alternating between individual chapters and combos. Read on!)

Leo

The alarm clock went off at 7. We'd been awake long before its petulant chimes. A couple lone cardboard boxes, filled with memories and possessions, still scattered the floor of Leo's bedroom. His bedside light was on, throwing soft beams across the small room. His things were packed away, my belongings tucked alongside them inside the Shellraiser.

This was it. No more living at the lair. Going out on our own.

I sat cross legged across from him, the cheap fabric of the mattress chafing against my feet without the soft bedsheets and comforter. He smiled gently. I returned the expression.

"We're dragging this out longer than it needs to be," I murmured in the silence. Leo's brothers had already bid us farewell the night before, and they and the girls would be fast asleep, used to their nocturnal sleep schedule.

"Yeah," he agreed, reaching forward to rub his thumb over my knuckles. "You wanna hit the road now? We can set up the furniture today. Maybe paint some walls."

I nodded. I wasn't in the mood for talking much. This was all very exciting, moving out and all, but...leaving all this behind? The lair had been my sanctuary for so long, and though I was beyond thrilled to be getting the chance to start a life with Leo, would we be able to cope with living without the constant business and commotion that came with having three brothers and three more friends?

We stood, and I slipped on a knit sweater and some fuzzy slippers. Despite my insomnia, I wasn't about to object to being unashamedly comfortable while we drove to the new apartment. We'd managed to snag a flat close to the roof for Leo's easy accessibility. The sun came through in the mornings and shone directly into the kitchen. Mikey had already gifted us with some wonderful daisies to put on the window sill, as a housewarming gift.

Leo piled the remaining boxes in his arms, recognizing my lingering drowsiness and deciding to allow me the privilege of not having to be weighed down with cumbersome loads of knick knacks.

We exited our old room quietly, and I turned out the light and closed the door behind us, pausing to let my eyes adjust to the sudden darkness of the living room. The sound of Leo's footfalls guided me through the blackness, though I began to see vague forms as we snuck toward the turnstiles.

I spotted the couch and TV, where endless hours had been spent in video-game matches and movie marathons. The pinball machine plinked cheerfully as we went by, a final reminder of my high score I still held in the game from months of arduous playing to beat Raph's point accumulation. The dojo, where Splinter had spent hours training me to hone my levitation skills, and taught me to meditate and take the edge off the memory of my parents and my old life, to focus on this new one I was blessed to have.

Speaking of Splinter...

The Japanese screen scraped along its track as it was pulled open, startling Leo and I. We only relaxed when we spotted the old rat ambling out. His slender fingers tugged gently at his goatee, other hand gripping his emerald staff as he observed the two of us. He leaned his weight onto the stave tiredly, expelling my prior assumption that the ninja master never slept.

"Getting a head start on the day?" he addressed my boyfriend, and Leonardo nodded, hefting the boxes further up in his arms. The rat smiled softly, gliding down the stairs without a sound and standing before us.

"I hope you will give me a moment to express a bit of sentiment before you dismiss my actions as sappy, fatherly mumbo jumbo."

The humor in his tone wasn't lost on me, and I giggled softly.