{You Are The Best Thing} - Leonardo

I wandered through the lair, burying my hands in my jean pockets while my e/c eyes picked out tiny details in the furniture, heck, the overall areas where memories picked at my brain like needles. The smallest things triggered my nostalgia.

I glanced at the television set in the center of the living room...

He turned on the TV, and my favorite movie started playing.
"This is wonderful," I said, and a bit of red sprang onto his face. Leo reached behind him and pulled some popcorn out, handing some to me.
"No stealing," he assured, "I promise."

I blinked, sniffing the air and catching a whiff of the batch of goodies Mikey was beginning to make...

"I'm baking blueberry muffins," I stated.
"Can I have some?" Leo questioned.
"Sorry, Leo, but the only way you would get one is if you help me make one."
Leo walked up next to me, reading the recipe. "Where do we start?"

I sighed, miffed while I glanced in the direction of Leonardo's bedroom.

"As much as I'd love to observe your handsomeness, Captain," I set his mask on the nightstand, "We both know that morning will come all too soon."
Leo smiled, ocean blue eyes popping in contrast with his emerald green skin as he kissed me, mumbling against my lips, "With you beside me, no time is long enough to be able to spend with you, Love."

Leo, Leo, Leo. Anywhere I looked, I saw him and I...

He did something unexpected, and quickly kissed me on the cheek. My eyes widened, and I looked at Leo.
"Sorry," he quickly apologized, "I shouldn't have done that."
"What do you mean?" I asked, "It's fine. Just, you've never done that before..."
"No, I should've asked you," he mumbled.
"Leo really, it's okay," I insisted, "I was just gonna say you missed."
Leo looked confused, "I...missed?"
I scooted closer to him, wrapping my arms around his neck, "Yeah, you missed."
Before Leo could ask what I meant, I leaned in and kissed him.

Ugh, everything about this place just made me think about him! C'mon, stay strong Y/N, don't give in...

"You're so beautiful."
My cheeks flamed as I smiled at him. "You're not so bad yourself, Fearless."
He laughed softly, kissing my nose, pulling back to look at me affectionately.
"Y/N... I love you."

"Y/N?"

I yelped in slight surprise, my shocked expression turning into one of disgruntlement.

"Go away, Leo," I snapped, pushing past the leader, "I don't wanna talk to you."

"Look, I know I was a total jerk. I should've been there for you, and not a day has passed where I don't regret going to support you and see your beautiful face up on that stage..."

My heart thudded, though I stood my ground, jumping down into the sunken flat of the living room, "Don't try sweet talking me."

"I'm not trying to sweet talk you," Leo insisted, "I want you to know you're the best thing I've ever had or ever will have, and that--"

"For God's sake, just leave me alone, Leonardo!" I cried, sinking into the beanbag chair with my back turned to him, trying to seem completely enthralled with the Animal Planet show that had come on.

I heard a sigh behind me, and then the distinct sound of footsteps as Leo walked away. I didn't dare turn around - I wasn't going to give him the privilege of me looking after him - but his words resonated in my mind with a strength that made my skin all tingly, thinking about what he'd said in the brief moments before he'd gone.

"You're the best thing I've ever had or ever will have..."

I jumped when the tinny sound of a phone speaker filled the air, and suddenly, a little electronic was tossed gently onto the ground beside me, blaring lyrics.

Baby, it's been a long day, baby
Things ain't been going my way
You know I need you here
To clear my mind
All the time

The simple song made me smile slightly, though I tried to conceal it as I reached for the little device, which turned out to be Leo's T-Phone, playing a Ray LaMontagne tune and making my heart swell.

And baby, the way you move me it's crazy
It's like you see right through me
And make it easier
You please me you don't even have to try

I finally turned around to see Leo, a sheepish, apologetic smile gracing his features, a tiny bunch of daisies in his hand - just like the day he'd asked me to be his. I slowly stood, dropping the phone onto the beanbag, the music still echoing through the living room.

"I want to be the boyfriend you want - the boyfriend you deserve," Leo told me softly, stepping forward and holding the flowers out to me, "I screwed up, I know that. But without you, my life is... incomplete. I need you in my life, Y/N. I love you, with all my heart. So... will you help me be the best turtle I can be... for you?"

I grinned, heart aflutter as I accepted the bouquet and nodded slowly, stepping even closer to him and embracing him, not believing just how much I missed being in his arms.

"I will," I whispered as I gazed back up at Leo, "And... you're still the best, to me."

With that, I pressed my lips softly to his, while Ray continued on.

Oh because, you are the best thing
You are the best thing
Ever happened to me...

Song Title: You Are The Best Thing, by Ray LaMontagne