5

Ginny quickly grabbed Viola, stopping her from landing in the lake.

"Thanks," Viola whispered as she straightened herself.

"No problem!" said Ginny.

"That's for stepping on me," growled a girls voice.

Ginny whipped around.

A massive girl with a heavy jaw was standing there glaring at Viola. Beside her was a much thinner girl with long brown hair, freckles and piercing eyes.

"It was just an accident," said Ginny hotly. "There was certainly no reason for you to push her like that!"

"I don't see how it's any of your business gingie," said the other girl in a very cool voice.

Ginny narrowed her eyes at the nickname for her hair. She fingered her wand in her pocket. Yew wood with dragon heart string. Twelve inches, thin and swishy.

"Yeah, pipsqueak," growled the other girl. "Maybe you'd like to go for a dip-"

The large girl moved forward to shove Ginny. Ginny quickly whipped out her wand.

"I don't think so," said Ginny fiercely.

The girls eyes widened, then she started fumbling in her robe pockets for her own wand. Ginny was more then ready. Fred and George had taught her a couple of defensive spells to keep tucked up get sleeves. But before the girl could do more than locate a wand, a boy called "Oi! We're leaving!"

Ginny looked around to see that many of the boats had taken off. She faced the huge girl again. She glared at both if the girls, gave a toss of her hair then said "Come on Viola,"

Ginny and Viola climbed into a boat with a couple other new students. Ginny's anger at the two ride girls soon evaporated as they sailed toward the castle. Nervousness flipped in her stomach.

When she'd arrived at the station Hermione had wished her good luck then Fred and George appeared at her side.

"Are you preparing yourself Gin?" asked Fred patting her on the shoulder.

Ginny'd frowned at her brothers.

"For what?"

"For the pain of being sorted,"said George gravely. "I'm not sure how me and Fred survived it was so excruciating-"

"You might've fooled Ron with that but you can't fool me," Ginny interrupted. "I know what the sorting is! All you have to do is put on a hat!"

Fred sighed.

"You always were more intelligent than Ronny, poor deary," said Fred. "Well anyway, good luck Gin. Try not to get in Slytherin,"

The two boys had started to walk away at that point but they were still talking to their little sister.

"Yeah 'cause we'll have to disown you if that happens!" said George.

"No hard feelings though!" called Fred. "It isn't personal!"

Her brothers jokes did not exactly boost her moral spirit. All Ginny wanted was to end up in Gryffindor.

They reached the other side of the lake and the boat bumped against the shore. Ginny climbed out. Her legs were shaking. In mere minutes she would be sitting on the stool in the Great Hall awaiting for the sorting gays verdict.