92

"Well, today's the day," said Viola.

She sat up in bed Sunday morning, grabbed her brush off her nightstand and immediately began brushing her dark hair.

Ava, who was cuddled up in her blankets like a butterfly in a cocoon, blinked at Viola. Her face was peeking through a hole.

"The day for what?" asked Ava.

Morgana and Bertha were still asleep, allowing Viola and Ava a pleasant time to chat with only each other.

"The day I dare Ginny Weasley to jump in the Great Lake," said Viola.

She twisted her hair into a knot on top of her head, then pushed aside her blankets. She slid off her bed and fed her pets.

"You're sure you want to go through with this?" said Ava, her tone rather heavy.

Viola looked around at Ava in surprise. The blonde girl was disentangling herself from her blankets.

"Of course I am," said Viola.

"I just don't understand . . . " said Ava.

Viola paused. Monty the snake was wrapped around her arm.

"Understand what?"

Ava sat up in bed and met Viola's gaze full on.

"Why you don't like Ginny so much," said Ava.

"I think her actions speak for themselves," said Viola stiffly.

"Oh," said Ava.

"It's just a lot of things have happened between us in the past," said Viola. She was now vigorously shaking pellets into the animal cage. "And now I just know I have to defeat Ginny somehow before I can be really content."

"Not literally defeat her," said Viola quickly at the look of alarm on Ava's face. "I mean obviously I'm not going to kill her or anything! Merlin, of course not! I just want to come on top of her in something!"

Ava nodded.

The two girls dressed quickly in the frosty January morning air, and headed out of their dormitory.

Viola knew she couldn't wait any longer. She had to get this dare over with for once and for all.

When Viola and Ava entered the great hall, Viola ignored Hugo waving at her from the Hufflepuff table, and instead headed straight for the Gryffindor table.

Ginny was sitting with Colin Creevey at the Gryffindor table. He nudged her hard in the side. Ginny looked around over her shoulder, and when she saw Viola, her eyebrows went up.

"Viola," said Ginny. She brought her legs over the bench so she was facing the Slytherin girl. "What brings you here?"

Ginny kept her tone pleasant, and that seemed to infuriate Viola.

"I've decided on a dare," said Viola.

Viola's friends - Ava, Hugo and a Hufflepuff girl whom Ginny didn't know the name of -approached behind Viola, clearly wanting to hear the full conversation.

"About time," said Ginny. "What is it then?"

"I dare you," said Viola, "to dive into the Great Lake."

Silence. Ginny stared at Viola. In her mind she pictured that icy black surface, and the giant squid and grimelows swimming beneath it.

"The Great Lake?" squealed Colin. "But she'll freeze to death!"

"She will not," said Viola, rolling her eyes. "I saw Viktor Krum dive in yesterday."

"Ava became a sickle richer because of it," grumbled Hugo from behind Viola.

"I mean if your too scared to do it then -"

"No. I'll do it," said Ginny.

Ginny met Viola's hard gaze without a flicker of fear in her face.

"Today?" asked Viola.

Ginny shook her head.

"No. I promising Demelza I'd go down to the quidditch pitch with her today," said Ginny, "How about this coming Saturday?"

"What time?"

"Two?"

"Sounds like a deal," said Viola, "I will see you then."

"Yes, you will," said Ginny.

The girls stared hard at each other for a fraction of a second, before Viola turned on her heel and marched away.

🦇🦇🦇

"It's Hagrid," said Viola in delight when she arrived at Care of Magical Creatures next morning.

"Hagrid!"

Being the over-affectionate person he was,  Hugo yelled their professors name, then went running to hug the large man.

Hagrid looked quite pleased.

"Hullo there Hugo, hullo Viola and Ava," said Hagrid happily, "Glad to see yeh."

The girls grinned back at the Professor.

"We're glad to see you too Hagrid," said Hugo. He attempted to pat Hagrid on the back, but all he could reach was his waist. "That Grubble-Planks woman was a horrible teacher! She wouldn't even let me pet the baby unicorn!"

Hagrid chuckled.

"Tell yeh what, Hugo, after today's lesson, I'll let yeh pet the unicorns," said Hagrid.

"Brilliant!" cheered Hugo.

After class, and after Hugo had pet the unicorns, they headed back up to the castle from where they came.

Viola paused in the doorway, and looked out at the black lake, reflecting the grey afternoon sky above it.

That water has to got be so cold, thought Viola with satisfaction, Ginny will never do it.