65

"Viola! Wake up! We need to go!"

Viola jumped at the sound of voice close by her ear. She was fearfully jolted from her sleep. She sat up in bed and looked around bleary eyed. Her father was standing by her bed, his panicked facial expression illuminated by blue wand light.

"What's going on?" asked Viola. Her dark hair was sticking this way and that.

Viola could tell something was wrong. The Irish's loud singing had died down, and Viola could hear screams filling the air.

"We have to get out of here, now," said Roderick. "There are Death Eaters in the camp."

Viola's stomach plunged at the name of You-Know-Who's supporters. She didn't need telling twice. Viola threw back the covers and scrambled out of bed.

"Don't bother getting dressed," said Roderick as he hastily pulled on a jacket.

Viola did as she was told and put on just her nightdress over her pajamas. She wished she had her wand with her, but her mother had locked it away for safe keeping over the summer.

Viola followed her father out of their tent. A few camp fires were still burning, allowing Viola to see witches and wizards running across the camp grounds.

There was the sound of noises like gunshots and drunken yells. Viola quickly located the source of the noise. It was a group of wizards, packed tightly together. They all wore dark hoods and masks, and had their wands pointed at the sky. The sight of what was hovering above them made Viola's stomach churn. Four struggling figures were in the air, being twisted and bent by magic like they were air-born contortionists.

Worst of all, the group was heading straight for them.

"Quick," said Roderick.

He grabbed Viola and pulled her behind the tent. Viola waited with baited breath as the group passed by yelling like drunkards and screaming with derisive laughter.

Father and daughter watched as the group passed by, setting several nearby tents on fire as they passed.

"Alright. They've all passed by. Let's get to the woods," said Roderick. Viola followed him out from behind the tent, only to freeze in fright.

Roderick was wrong, they hadn't all passed by. There stood a short man with a lumpy looking mask which was sliding off his face. He was looking right at them.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the little blood traitor Lestrange!" cried the man with a wheezy giggle.

"Hello Amycus," said Roderick stiffly. "Long time no see."

"How's life with the filthy Muggle?" spat Amycus. "Is that yer and the muggles filthy spawn standing next to you that I see?"

Viola's eyes widened in alarm. Roderick stepped in front of her.

"Go away Amycus," said Roderick. "Leave us be."

Amycus giggled again. "Oh I don't think so. If ol' Rudy were 'ere he'd teach you a lesson he would. And I'm going to do the same."

"Run!" Roderick yelled to Viola, just as Amycus yelled "Crucio!"

There was a flash of light from Amycus's wand. The last thing Viola saw was her father non-verbally produce a shield charm, before she turned on her heel and ran for it.

Her feet slipped on the dewy night grass making her stumble, but she continued to run without looking back. She hurried across the campsite, dodging flaming tents and other terrified people. She darted into the dark woods. The further she ran, the darker the woods became. Blindly, she ran smack into tree. Viola stumbled backward. Her backside landed on the leafy forest ground with a thud.