35

To the surprise of the fear- inflicted witches and wizards roaming the halls of Hogwarts, no more attacks occurred as April passed by and May arrived.

The students were surprised that exams would still be commencing, despite the circumstances.

Exams were the least of Viola's worries however. Dumbledore seemed to have made a permanent disappearance from the halls of the school.

She got up the courage to ask Snape when the Headmaster would be back, but Snape only said "He'll be absent for quite a while and I would prefer you didn't pester me about it."

Viola finally found out what had happened to Dumbledore after McGonagall told the whole school one night that Dumbledore had been removed as Headmaster, so she, as deputy headmistress, would be stepping in during his absence. There was quite an uproar amongst the students about this. The majority agreed that the school was ten times safer with Dumbledore.

Most of the Slytherins didn't seem to agree. Viola heard Draco Malfoy bragging one night that his father was the one who got Dumbledore kicked out. If he was as arrogant as his son, Viola didn't doubt this for a second.

Viola was tempted to ask Snape to bring her theory to Professor McGonagall, Viola was afraid Snape would grow angry with her and refuse to do it.

So all Viola could do was keep her head down and hope Dumbledore would eventually return.

🦇🦇🦇

Ginny could only assume not writing in the diary had helped as no more attacks occurred. She'd also stopped carrying the little book around.

With summer creeping across the ground as May came to a close, the warm air, bright flowers and periwinkle blue sky could not help but lift Ginny's spirits.

Three days before exams, Ginny sat at the Gryffindor table eating breakfast, when McGonagall stood up to give an announcement. Ginny paused with a forked potato in hand. She looked up at McGonagall with a weary expression.

"I have good news," she said.

The great hall erupted into noise.

"Dumbledore come back!" several people yelled.

"You've caught the air of Slytherin!" squealed a girl at the Ravenclaw table. Ginny's stomach twisted nervously.

"Quidditch matches are back on!" roared Oliver Wood.

When the hubbub had subsided, Professor McGonagall said, "Professor Sprout has informed me that the mandrakes are ready for cutting at last. Tonight, we will be able to revive those people who have been Petrified. I need hardly remind you all that one of them may very well be able to tell us who, or what, attacked them."

Ginny dropped her fork and stared in horror at Professor McGonagall as she continued. "I am hopeful that this dreadful year will end with us catching the culprit."

The great hall exploded into cheering.

"Isn't this great, Ginny?" squealed Wish.

Ginny barely heard her. Terror flooded her mind. By tomorrow they would know. They would know she was the one opening the Chamber.

Ginny looked around in a lost manner. She started to twist her hands together repeatedly. What was she going to do?

I have to tell someone, Ginny thought. I have to tell someone it's me. I have to.

And Ginny knew there was only one person in the entire school she could tell. Ron. He might not be the greatest brother at times, but Ginny knew he cared about her and would listen to what she told him. Percy would only tell her to stop being so foolish and Fred and George would just joke it off. She had to tell Ron.

Ginny got to her feet and spotted her brother where he sat across from Harry. Ginny hurried over to them.

"-might be kinder to leave her where she is till they're over," Ron was saying as Ginny sat down beside her. He moved in for some more porridge. "What's up?" His question was for her.

Ginny could feel Harry's eyes on her as she nervously rocked back and forth with her hands still twisting in her lap. She determinedly avoided meeting his gaze.

"I've got to tell you something," Ginny mumbled.

"What is it?" asked Harry.

Ginny struggled to find the right words.

"What?" said Ron impatiently.

Ginny opened her mouth, but no sound would come out. Harry leaned foreword and spoke quietly so only her and Ron could hear. "Is it something about the Chamber? Have you seen something? Someone acting oddly?"

This was it. Ginny took a deep breath and was about to tell them everything, then Percy appeared.

Ginny jumped from her seat and gave Percy a fleeting, terrified look before scamperingn away.

Ginny didn't know what to do.

🦇🦇🦇

If anyone saw the grin that split over Viola's face when the good news was announced, they would have assumed it was due to joy. This was not exactly the case. Viola was smiling because she knew this meant Ginny would be revealed.

And maybe, Viola had her fingers crossed, Professor Snape would be so kind as to inform the other teachers that a student by the name of Viola Lestrange had suspected Ginny long before now. And Viola would emerge from the school year a hero! A hero whom everyone admired and wanted to be friends with!

Of course no one could be sure with Severus Snape, but Viola could hope. Now all she had to do was wait until the next day to see what happened.