22

"Viola, I don't think you should go,"

Viola looked around in surprise. Ava had sat up in bed. Viola wasn't only surprised because it was almost midnight and Ava should be asleep, but Ava hadn't ever spoken to Viola since the first day of school.

"You should let Morgana and Bertha do it," urged Ava.

Viola frowned. Was she hoping Morgana or Bertha would get hurt in the duel?

"Why?" asked Viola.

"I just think you should," said Ava.

Viola shook her head.

"I'm sorry Ava, I can't. This is my chance!" said Viola.

She didn't say what it was her chance to do. Truth be told she wasn't exactly sure. She just knew it was her chance to prove herself, in so many ways.

Viola turned her back on Ava and headed out of the dormitory. She found Bertha and Morgana waiting in the dark Common Room. Some of the boys had wanted to come as well but they agreed the less people, the less likely they would be caught.

"Ready?" hissed Morgana.

Viola nodded. Her insides were squirming nervously as they left the Common Room. In the moment, a duel had sounded quite un-frightening. Now Viola was panicking slightly. There was a very good reason she hadn't been put in Gryffindor...but she couldn't back down now.

The corridors were dark, lit only by a bit of pale moonlight from the windows. The girls were silent as they slowly crept along.

🦇🦇🦇

Ginny and Colin crept from the Gryffindor Common Room. No one else had come along, although several people had tried to change Ginny's mind about the whole thing. But Ginny wasn't about to back down. The only thing that was posing a possible threat was Colin getting over exited and squealing something so loudly, Filch would come running.

🦇🦇🦇

They had agreed to meet in the trophy room. When the three Slytherin girls arrived they found the room completely empty, aside from the usual trophies.

Morgana circled around the room with her lit wand held aloft.

"They aren't here yet," Morgana said suspiciously. "Do you think they tricked us? I know Draco Malfoy did exactly that to Harry Potter last year. Maybe Ginny wants to get revenge. She does seem to fancy the boy, although I couldn't tell you why."

"No, she wouldn't trick us," said Viola with certainty. "They'll be here,"

She was right. Only a few minutes later Ginny Weasley and Colin Creevey came hurrying into the room.

"Sorry we're late," said Ginny. Her freckled face was illuminated by the light of her wand, "Filch is wandering the halls. You'll want to be careful on the way back."

"Oh cut the niceties," sneered Morgana. "Let's get this duel going,"

Viola looked at Ginny. They  stared at each other for a moment, then arranged themselves so Ginny was standing at one end of the room and Viola on the other. The others went to the sidelines.

"So first you bow," called Morgana. She came from a family who taught their children to duel as soon as they were old enough to walk.