40

Ginny did exactly what Dumbledore had told her; she enjoyed the rest of her school year.

She didn't think about the Chamber, or worry about being embarrassed in front of Harry, she just enjoyed herself.

And Ginny found herself perfectly happy again.

And for once Viola's happiness was perfectly in balance with Ginny's. Her and Hugo enjoyed themselves thoroughly the last few weeks at Hogwarts.

All too soon the year came to an end however, and it came time to board the Hogwarts express and head home.

Viola was dreading every bit of it.

"I'm sure it won't be so bad," said Hugo bracingly as they hauled their luggage through  the train hallway, which was flooded with people.

Viola fixed him with a look as she struggled to keep her pet's cage from slipping out of her hand.

"You don't know my parents," said Viola. "They hate me."

"I'm sure they don't hate you-"

"Yes. They do," said Viola. She tried to fix her Slytherin scarf, which was trying to escape from her neck, but her hands were to full to adjust it properly.

The two squeezed past crowd of third years and into an empty compartment. Hugo dropped his luggage unceremoniously onto the floor and plopped his butt onto a seat.

"Why do they hate you?" he asked curiously. Hugo clearly couldn't fathom any parent hating their child.

"Well . . ." said Viola with her back to Hugo as she put her luggage up on the rack. "They didn't want a child for one thing . . . And for another . . ." Viola threw a bag up then sat across from Hugo. "My mother is very beautiful."

Hugo stared at her. "Er . . . What's that got to do with anything?"

Viola pointed to her own pale face. "I'm not."

"I think you're very pretty Viola," said Hugo earnestly.

Viola blushed and mumbled, with a grin, "Thanks Hugo. But my mother disagrees. She's ashamed of me . . . Hold on a second, where's my scarf? I had it in the hallway."

Viola looked all around the compartment. So did Hugo.

"I must've dropped it in the hallway. It was slipping off," said Viola, standing up. "I'll go look for it."

"Want me to come?" offered Hugo. 

Viola shook her head. "No, I'll only be a moment."

She slipped out of the compartment and began searching along the hallway. It was difficult to squeeze through the crowds of students and their luggage. Viola bumped into someone.

"Oh sorr-" Viola started, then stopped.  It was Ginny.

The two girls stared at each other for a moment. They had not spoken in a very long time. As far as Viola knew, Ginny had no idea that Viola had accused her of opening the Chamber, then come to save her.

Ginny's expression hardened and she brushed past without a word. Viola was about to do the same when she heard Dumbledore voice in her head, there is still a chance to make friends, of which you can never have to many. If Dumbledore had thought he was being subtle when he spoke those words, he was badly mistaken. Viola had understood perfectly well that Dumbledore was telling her to make amends with Ginny, but that didn't mean she took it any less to heart.

"Ginny, wait!" Viola called, turning around.

Ginny looked over her shoulder at her, none too friendly. Viola took a few steps closer.

"I just wanted to say. . ." Viola paused. It was difficult a difficult thing to get out. "I wanted to say I'm sorry . . . for being to mean to you, and Luna, all year. I know it wasn't very nice, but . . . I truly am very sorry."

Ginny just stared at Viola who, after a moment, looked down at her feet.

"I understand if you can't forgive me-" muttered Viola, turning away.

"No," said Ginny.

Viola looked up and spun around.

Ginny's reproachful look had disappeared to be replaced by a look of contemplation and slight hesitation.

"It's fine," said Ginny. She smiled at Viola. "It's all behind us now after all."

Ginny extended her hand carefully. Viola's face broke into smile too. She eagerly shook the offered hand.

"Yes. I hope so," said Viola.

"I'll see you next year, Viola," said Ginny happily.

"You too," said Viola.

Ginny skipped off and Viola was left to find her scarf.

After locating the garment, Viola headed back to her and Hugo's compartment. They let Viola's pets loose and started an intense game of Exploding Snap.

Viola couldn't stop smiling. She didn't think her year could've ended any better.

While cards were exploding around Viola and Hugo, a game of exploding was also commencing in the compartment shared by Fred, George, Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny.

After Exploding Snap came setting off filibusters fire works, then practicing disarming each other to take advantage of the little time they had left to do magic.

They were almost at King's cross when Harry suddenly said "Ginny-"Ginny of course snapped to attention. "What did you see Percy doing, that he didn't want you to tell anyone?"

Ginny giggled. "Oh, that! Well - Percy's got a girlfriend!"

Fred dropped the stack of books he was holding on George's head.

"What?"

"It's that Ravenclaw Prefect, Penelope Clearwater," said Ginny. "That's who he was writing to all summer. He's been meeting her all over the school in secret. I walked in on them kissing in an empty classroom one day. He was so  upset when she was -you know-" Ginny swallowed. "Attacked."

Ginny noticed the looks of delight crossing the twins faces.

"You won't tease him, will you?" Ginny said anxiously.

"Wouldn't dream of it," said Fred.

"Definitely not," sniggered George.

Ginny didn't believe the twins, but she didn't have time to worry about that. They had arrived at Kings Cross station.

Ginny stepped off the train and within seconds she was in her parents arms.

As the Weasley's left the station, Ginny glanced over her shoulder at the Hogwarts Express. Already she couldn't wait until her next year at Hogwarts.