84

"Hi Neville," said Ginny, sitting next to the boy on a scarlet Gryffindor sofa.

It was a chilly December evening, and most of the students had gathered in the Gryffindor common room to warm up by the fire before bed, and, more than likely, discuss the Yule Ball.

Ginny had become so sick of listening to Wish plot how to get a boyfriend before the holiday arrived, she decided she'd go up to bed. But then she'd noticed Neville Longbottom sitting all by himself and looking gloomy.

Neville looked around at the red head girl in surprise as she sat beside him.

"Hi Ginny," said Neville.

"Is something wrong?" asked Ginny. "You seem a little down."

Neville shook his head.

"No, not really," said Neville. "I just-"

He stopped. He looked around at Ginny, looking like an idea had just occurred to him.

"Ginny- would you like to come to the Yule Ball with me?" asked Neville.

Ginny's lips parted in surprise. "Oh."

"As friends," Neville added eagerly.

Ginny didn't know what to say for a moment. It was sweet of Neville to ask her, but she still really wanted to go to the ball with Harry . . .

Stop, Ginny told herself firmly. Stop. Harry isn't going to ask you to the ball, so get over it. Now you get the chance to go to the ball with someone nice like Neville. If he hadn't asked you, you probably wouldn't be able to go at all.

"Sure," Ginny.

It was worth it just to see the happy smile spread over Neville's face.

"Thank you!" cried Neville happily.

Ginny had to laugh. "What're you thanking me for? I wouldn't be able to go otherwise!"

🦇🦇🦇

On Friday evening the second week of December, Ginny found herself walking into dinner with Luna Lovegood.

Over the last couple of days, Ginny had tried very hard to stop wishing Harry had asked her to the ball instead of Neville. She was trying to be content that anyone had asked her at all, after all Neville was a very nice boy.

"It was very nice of you to say yes to the Longbottom boy, sometimes he looks lonely," said Luna. "I wish I was going. No ones ever taken me to a dance as a friend before."

"I'm sure someone will someday, Luna," said Ginny.

"No, I don't think so," said Luna cheerfully.

Ginny had just opened her mouth to reply when someone called her name.

"Ginny!"

Ginny looked around to see her youngest brother standing in the doorway of the great hall. He still had his school bags with him and he appeared to be looking for something.