99

The days that followed were not happy ones. The tragedy of the final task left everyone feeling very hollow, and even a little frightened.

But as horrible as everyone else felt, Ginny knew Harry must feel much worse. He had been there when Cedric died. He had seen it.

Ginny wanted to do something to make him feel better. One evening when she saw him sitting alone in the common room, just staring into the fire, she almost went to sit beside him and say something comforting. But she'd stopped halfway across the common room, not knowing what to exactly say.

Everyone in the castle just wanted to go home. It was too odd to walk down the corridors, wanting to laugh and chatter like they had days ago, but at the same time knowing they couldn't.

The end of term feast was unlike that Ginny, Viola, or any other student in Hogwarts had ever seen. Everyone was quiet and subdued, especially the Hufflepuff table, and instead of the usual house colors, black banners were hung up to mourn the death of Cedric Diggory.

As soon as Dumbledore stood, the Great Hall grew even quieter than it already had been.

"The end to another year," Dumbledore said, his eyes roaming the hall and coming to linger upon the Hufflepuff table. "There is much I would like to say tonight, but first I would like to acknowledge the death of a very fine person who should be sitting here," he gestured at the Hufflepuffs.

Viola looked over at them from the Slytherin table to where Hugo and Clemi were sitting. The sight of Hugo's face made Viola's heart break. She'd never seen him look so sad. Tears rolled silently down his cheeks. Beside him Clemi's face was blank of emotion, but her shoulder leaned against Hugo in a comforting way.

Dumbledore continued. "But first I must acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured at the Hufflepuff's again, "to enjoy our feast with us. I would like you all to stand, and raise your glasses to Cedric Diggory."

With a commotion of scraping, and shuffling, everyone did. In one loud tumbling voice they said, "Cedric Diggory."

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House," said Dumbledore as everyone returned to their seats. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not."

This, Viola reflected, was true. She had never spoke to the Hufflepuff boy in her life, and yet she felt his death was something she would never forget. It had made her realize, life might be short. And if it was, then it certainly was it worth it to spend it jealous of other people, or degrading and doubting herself. Cedric Diggory'd had a short life, if she was lucky hers would be a long one and she should spend it as fully as possible.

"I think you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

Viola's stomach plunged. People began to whisper in frightened tones. Ava and Viola glanced at each other, shock written on both their faces.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not be able to believe that Lord Voldemort had returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally more preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident is an insult to his memory."

Dumbledore continued to talk about, Cedric, and the return of Voldemort.

When he was finished, all Viola could think about was how this was all so much bigger than herself. It didn't matter who was prettier, or smarter - what mattered now was that they all stuck together.

So Viola left the great hall with some Dumbledore's words resonating in her mind.

"I say to you all, once again - in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord an enmity is very great. We can fight only by showing an equally bond of friendship and trust. Differences in habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts open."