58

"Why can't I come?" Hugo demanded indignantly after reading the letter over Viola's shoulder.

The two girls ignored him as they turned to look at each other in shocked confusion. This was a unexpected development in the matter of the boggart.

"I don't understand," said Ginny, her freckled blending together into a frown. She lowered her voice so the lunching students surrounding them wouldn't hear. "Why would Vascara Telt, or whatever their name is, single us out? What does any of this have to do with us?"

"Well, the I was attacked by the boggart," Viola reminded her, "But I have no idea what it has to do with you."

She put a certain emphasis on the word you which told Ginny Viola still didn't like her.

But now was not the time to dwell on the feuding feelings between them. A mystery was at hand.

"But why would the culprit want to reveal themselves to us?" Ginny asked.

"More importantly, why can't I come?" Hugo said, butting into the conversation. Once again he found himself ignored.

"I don't know," said Viola, frowning down at the letter in her hands.

"Do you think it's a trap?" asked Ginny.

Viola looked up from the letter with a grim expression. "Probably."

"Set by Sirius black?" Ginny suggested.

"Possibly," said Viola.

"Or it could just be someone playing a prank," said Ginny, thinking of Fred and George.

"Maybe. Or just Vascara Telt trying a new tactic of setting a boggart on people," said Viola, "Either way, it's dangerous, and we probably shouldn't go."

Ginny nodded in agreement. She looked down at her scuffed, hand-me-down shoes beneath the table, then up at Viola again. She saw her own feelings mirrored in the other girls face.

Despite the danger, they both wanted to go.

"So, what time?" said Ginny.

"A quarter to twelve," said Viola.

"Two corridors away from the trophy room?" Ginny said.

"I'll be there," said a voice, but it wasn't Viola.

The two girls both turned on Hugo, still sitting on the other side of Viola.

"No, you can't come Hugo," said Viola.

"Why not?" the indignant Hufflepuff boy demanded.

"Because, it says so right here!" said Viola, gesturing down at the letter.

"So?" said Hugo.

"So there obviously must be a reason why!" said Viola.

"Yeah, a stupid one!" said Hugo.

Ginny watched the two with a faint smile on her lips. Despite the fact that they were arguing, Ginny admired the friendship between the two.

They were close enough to argue.

Although Ginny had many friends, and was even considered popular by some, she'd never had a best friend.

"The case is closed Hugo," said Viola firmly, "You can't come."

Viola turned to Ginny.

"See you tonight then?"

Ginny nodded.

"See you tonight."

🦇🦇🦇

Ginny crept down the dark corridor with her yew wand in hand.

Ginny knew what she was doing was slightly stupid. Maybe it would end up being a trap Viola set for her.

Ginny also knew that Percy would have a fit if he found out about it, and that several of the girls in her dorm would've warned her against such a thing.

But Ginny wasn't as small or helpless as she seemed, and after Tom Riddle had possessed her last year she'd been determined to never let anyone take advantage of her again.

She was slightly afraid of what awaited her in the trophy room, but not that or the thought of Percy's disapproval was enough to sway her from the path ahead.

Ginny jumped when a voice hissed, "Ginny!"

The red-head whirled around with her illuminated wand out stretched.

Viola was standing there, her pale face illuminated by blue wand light.

"Viola!" said Ginny, "Did you have to sneak up on me like that?"

Viola just shrugged, her expression rather grim.

"Come on, let's go," the girl said.

Viola turned and started striding down the hall toward the trophy room. Ginny followed her.

"Run into any trouble on the way here?" Ginny asked.

"No," said Viola, "Although Ava warned me heavily against going."

There was something dismissive about Viola's tone, like she didn't want to talk to Ginny, which was probably true, but Ginny ignored it. She liked talking.

"Hugo didn't follow you then?'

"No," said Viola, "I told him I'd hex him if he did, and he's been on the receiving end of my bat bogey hex before, so I don't think he'll do anything."

The two fell silent until they came to the trophy room where the door was hanging open. They stopped in their tracks, and glanced at each other.

"Ready?" asked Ginny, and Viola nodded.

Together they entered the dark trophy room. 

Ginny held her wand before her. The blue wand light fell across the shelves of trophies and awards.

"Hello!" said a sudden, and cheerful voice which sounded out of place in the expectant, nighttime silence of the room.

Both girls whirled around to see a hooded figure draw out from the shadows. Vascara Telt had arrived.

Ginny and Viola raised their wands in unison.

Vascara Telt raised two hands and pushed back the hood of their cloak.

Ginny's mouth fell open as she laid eyes on the last person she would ever have suspected to be the culprit.

Beside her, Viola gasped.

"Hugo?"