29

It was nearing the end of January and still no attacks had occurred. This brightened Ginny's spirits greatly. She became determined rather than afraid. She was going to find out how she was attacking everyone, and stop herself from doing it ever again.

Ginny spent most of her afternoons in the library, reading book after book about the Chamber of Secretes. But she came up empty handed every time.

I just don't understand, Tom.

Ginny wrote in her diary, one afternoon when she was alone in the dorm.

I know I must be the one opening the Chamber, but how? It doesn't make any sense.

Toms reply came swiftly, as always.

There is no need to be afraid. Everything will turn out the way it should.

Normally Toms words were very soothing for her. But Ginny had come to the point where she was not able to be soothed.

How can I not be worried Tom? There are two kids, a ghost and a cat petrified because of me! And one of them is my friend. I have to figure out a way to stop myself from petrifying anyone else!

Maybe you shouldn't fight it.

Ginny stared at Tom's words.

What do you mean, Tom?

Maybe you should use this to your advantage. You want Harry Potter to like you, don't you?

Yes, but what does the Chamber have to do with Harry liking me?

Petrify the Granger girl. Then Harry will take more notice of you.

Ginny was horrified. Never before had Tom said such horrible things.

Tom, what are you talking about? Harry and Hermione are just friends, and even if they weren't, I could never hurt Hermione!

If you don't petrify her, you will regret it.

Ginny could only stare at the diary. Had Tom gone mad? Her quill was hovering over the diary. A splotch of ink dropped into the page. Ginny was regarded the little book suspiciously.

Suddenly she heard her fathers voice in her mind. "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brains." This was something he had consistently told his children. He worked in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts department at the Ministry of Magic, and had run into many dangerous, enchanted objects. What if this diary was enchanted? What if this diary had enchanted her?

Ginny swallowed. Toms words and the splotch had sank into the page.

Ginny eyed the continued to eye the journal. Why hadn't she ever thought to wonder how the diary had worked? She had loved it so much. Like she'd told Tom, it was like carrying around a friend in her pocket. Never for a second had she stopped to think that maybe it was dangerous. Maybe Tom was dangerous, but how could he be? He'd been such a good friend to her. No one had ever listened to her like he had.

But Ginny could not ignore the fact that he had just told her to petrify her brothers best friend.

Slowly Ginny put her quill down on the page. She wrote.

Is it you? Are you forcing me to open the Chamber...you and this diary...

Tom replied swiftly.