17

This chapter is dedicated to randam2000 and Starfishlikestoread for being very dedicated to this story! Thanks guys! Also you should check out their works! They're really good!

________________________

Viola had rarely felt so horrible in her life. And seeing as her life had been very miserable, that was saying something.

Ginny's glares followed her in every class they had. Although Luna seemed to harbor no ill feelings. Things got worse when, a few days later, Ginny cornered Viola in the hallway with wand in hand.

"Are you still stealing Luna's things?" Ginny asked.

"No," said Viola quickly, and it was true. She hadn't. "Really I haven't. I swear!"

Ginny glared suspiciously.

"Well someone has, and even if it wasn't you, you started it. I know Luna's a little different but people shouldn't be so mean to her. She isn't half bad once you get to know her!" Then Ginny angrily stormed away.

September faded into October, and Viola had been at Hogwarts for an entire month now. And had it been better here than at her parents house? No, it really hadn't.

The first weekend of October dawned warm and sunny with only a slight chill on the air. The students migrated outside to enjoy what would probably be the last of the nice weather. Viola sat alone by the lake, which bordered the edge of the Hogwarts grounds, doing her homework, with Jinx the rat curled up in her lap. The only person who was even remotely friendly to her of late was Hugo, but Viola had brought a stop to that by threatening to jinx him if he asked her one more time why she had been upset the other day.

Viola focused hard on her homework trying to ignore the sounds of laughter and fun coming from the students around her. Not far off Ginny was sitting with a group of Gryffindors. Viola could hear Wish and Romilda's giggles even from afar.

Viola stared at the page in front of her she but she just kept rereading the same words over and over again. A splashing noise made Viola look up. There were ripples on the dark surface of the lake. The giant squid! Viola thought excitedly. She jumped to her feet - Jinx scurried up her arm- and ran to the edge of the lake after dropping A History Of Magic to the ground. The ripples faded away. Viola waited and watched, while her shoes sank into the muddy bank.

"Oi! Lestrange!"

Viola looked around. Her heart sank at the sight of Bertha and Morgana strolling across the grounds toward her. Viola saw Ginny look around.

"What is it?" Viola asked as the two girls approached. They hadn't exactly been mean to Viola, not like they were to Ava, but they certainly hadn't been nice either.

"We came to ask for a favor," said Morgana. They stopped in front of her.

Viola's eyebrows rose.

"What kind of favor?" Viola asked suspiciously.

"Well," said Morgana. "You're very smart you know-" Viola was taken a back by the complement. "-and you always seem to have your homework done on time,"

"Yes. I do," said Viola, not understanding where the conversation was heading.

"So we want you to do our homework for us," said Bertha bluntly.