27

Viola and Hugo continued to keep a close eye on Ginny. Viola was convinced her theory was right, but she was reluctant to go to any of the teachers until she had solid proof.

Ginny's behavior seemed to get more and more dodgy with each passing day. First she missed the dueling club -after which Viola wished she had missed it as well, since it was taught by that idiot, Lockhart- then, the very next day, Ginny was absent during Charms.

Viola twisted around in her seat, peering over people's heads to make sure she hadn't neglected to notice the red head. However Ginny was no where in sight. She had never missed a class before. Lately, Ginny had become a dictionary-worthy definition of the word Dodgy.

After class Viola visited the lavatory, then headed for the next class of the day, History of Magic. Peeves the poltergeist floated by. He was to busy singing a gleeful little song to take notice of her. Viola frowned at the lyrics.

"Oh Potter, you rotter, oh, what have you done? You're killing off students, you think it's good fun! When people see you they should run, run, run!"

No doubt it was of his own composure. Viola supposed it was inspired by all the rumors about Harry Potter being the heir of Slytherin. All because he had spoken parseltongue. Viola didn't believe it for a second.

Viola turned the corner and found a whole herd of students flooding the corridor. Viola stopped in her tracks. What was going on?

"Viola!" Hugo pushed his way out of a group of Hufflepuffs and appeared at her side. His brown face was filled with excitement. "There's been another attack!"

Viola's eyes widened. "Really? Who?"

"Justin Finch-Fletchley, he's a Hufflepuff, and Nearly Headless Nick." said Hugo.

"Really? A ghost?" said Viola with interest.

"Yeah. Everyone's pretty freaked out by that part!" said Hugo. "I mean what could hurt something that's already dead?"

"Ginny did it," Viola blurted.

"You saw her?" asked Hugo, with gray eyes wide.

"No, of course not. But she was missing during Transfiguration. You have to believe me Hugo. I'm certain."

Viola didn't know that desperation was flooding her brown eyes, but Hugo saw it. He saw it and he knew Viola would never put forth her opinion so certainly if she wasn't certain she was right.

"I believe you." Hugo said.

Viola's lips lifted into a faint, eager smile. "You do?"

Hugo nodded. "So what should we do? Should we tell a teacher?"

"No," said Viola. "First we need to proof."

🦇🦇🦇

"Miss Weasley!"

Ginny jumped at the sound of a sharp voice behind her. She looked around to see Professor MacGonagall striding down the hallway toward her. Panic gripped Ginny's chest. Had MacGonagall figured it out?

The weekend had arrived, bringing the start of Christmas vacation with it. Ginny's family, Harry and Hermione were some of the very few people who were staying for the Christmas holidays. Due to the fear induced by the latest attack, people had been rushing to get onto the train. Ginny wouldn't have been opposed to going home herself; she was feeling homesick and missed her mum and dad. But they had already left for Romania, where her brother Charlie was working with Dragons, a few days ago. So Ginny was stuck here. In the castle she had longed to go to for so long, but now wished she could escape from.

Professor McGonagall approached and looked sharply at the girl. Ginny reluctantly forced herself to meet the woman's stern gaze from behind her spectacles.

"Professor Flitwick has informed me that you were absent from class yesterday, Miss Weasley. May I ask why?"

"I-" Ginny hesitated. "I'm sorry Professor, I...had some homework I was trying to finish up before class and I...well was so busy finishing it I missed class."

Ginny looked down at her feet, as if  ashamed.

"I see," said Professor McGonagall. "Well you're far from the first student to miss class. Just don't let it happen again. We don't tolerate such behavior at Hogwarts."

"I won't," said Ginny. She breathed a sigh of relief as McGonagall strode away. She had expected much worse than that.

Ginny did not enjoy Christmas break very much. She was scared and confused. She thought it was her opening the Chamber of Secretes, yet how could it be? She wasn't the heir of Slytherin! But what about the paint and the feathers and the lapses in memory? It was all so confusing for the eleven year old girl. She spent most of her time locked away in her dormitory. While everyone was gone on holiday, she had it all to herself. She was afraid if she left she would end up hurting someone. Occasionally she would wander out so her brothers wouldn't worry about her. But all the brightness had drained out of Ginny. She was like a ghost of her former self, even if no one really noticed.

Fred and George did not help bring up Ginny's spirits. They, of course, treated the whole Chamber ordeal like a joke. They kept teasing Harry about being the heir of Slytherin by warding him off with garlic, and asking him loudly who he was going to attack next. Ginny hated it.

One morning on there way down to breakfast, Fred and George made sure to march ahead of Harry in the corridor.

"Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..."

"It is not a laughing matter." said Percy coldly, as he walked with his arms crossed. Ginny had been worried Percy suspected her, but as of yet Percy had not said anything about it to her. And Percy was not one to keep his opinion at bay.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy!" said Fred. "Harry's in a hurry."

"Yeah, he's off to the Chamber of Secretes for a cup of tea with his fanged servant," said George, chortling.

"Oh don't!" wailed Ginny. She had had enough of the jokes. Normally she found Fred and George very amusing, but these jokes only made her feel like she was going to vomit.

It was easy to say that this was the most miserable Ginny had ever felt in her life.