39

All the students from all houses were woken from their beds in the middle of the night. Viola was certain that it was because Ginny was dead and they were now being evacuated from the school.

When Snape told them, without much enthusiasm, that Ginny had been rescued and a feast was being thrown to celebrate the petrified students (as well as ghost and cat) who had been revived.

Viola couldn't have been more relieved. The enormous weight of guilt had been lifted off her chest.

It was a feast unlike any at Hogwarts. They were all in their pajamas and the celebration ran through entire night. All the victims of the basilisk were there.

Ignoring the glares from Morgana and Bertha, Viola sat with Hugo, who was a little over excited by the whole ordeal, at the Hufflepuff table and the two ended up in an enthusiastic food fight. Half the Hufflepuff table joined in.

To make the evening even better, for most people, it was announced that end of term exams were cancelled. Viola couldn't help but be slightly put out by this; she'd been eager to prove herself and how much she had learned and improved.

After the feast everyone headed up to their dormitories to take a nap before breakfast. Viola was walking out the door with Hugo when Katheryn, the Prefect, stopped her.

"Viola, Professor Dumbledore would like to speak with you," Katheryn said.

Viola's brown eyes widened in alarm. "What? Why?"

Katheryn shook her head. "I don't know. I told him you always behave yourself, but he said it wasn't anything about that. He's waiting in back in the great hall for you. You'd better go."

"Good luck!" Hugo called as Viola headed dubiously back into the great hall.

Viola found Dumbledore waiting at the staff table. All the other teachers were leaving.

"Have a seat," said Dumbledore, his blue eyes twinkling kindly at her.

He waved his wand and a chair appeared across from him. Viola climbed onto it.

"Have I done something wrong Professor?" asked Viola.

"Not at all. Not at all," said Dumbledore. "I merely wanted to discuss something with you."

Viola watched the man anxiously, waiting for him to speak again.

"Professor Snape has informed me that you were under the impression Ginny Weasley opened the Chamber," said Dumbledore.

Viola looked down at her lap, ashamed.

"Yes sir," she murmured.

"Was there any particular reason you thought so?" He asked, his blue eyes suddenly focusing on her intently.

"Well . . . " said Viola. "She was acting very oddly . . . "

"How so?"

"Well . . . I saw her strangle a chicken . . . several chickens. . ." said Viola, still very perplexed by that whole incident.

Dumbledore did not seem very surprise to hear this. He merely nodded.

"And there was no other reason you pursued the idea so certainly?" asked Dumbledore.

Viola squirmed uncomfortably under his gaze.

"Well," said Viola finally, in a very small voice. "I don't really like Ginny very much."

"And why is that?" asked Dumbledore.

Viola was rather annoyed by the inquisitive questions but tried not to show it.