98

___________

___________

Ginny Weasley went on her first date that Sunday. Her and Michael ate lunch together in an empty classroom, talked and got to know each other a little better.

Ginny truly enjoyed herself in Michael's company and the two agreed that they would like to spend more time with each other. On the first Hogsmeade trip of Spring they went together. And few other little dates followed. Ginny was careful to keep this all a secrete from her brothers, especially Ron. Only Hermione really knew.

But exams were soon upon them and the two really had little time to spend together as they were so busy studying for exams.

Exams arrived early June, ending on the very same day the third task would take place.

Ginny's last exam was Charms, which she passed easily. The other exams went just as well, even Defense Against the Dark Arts, despite the complicated curse-dodging test Moody gave them.

On June 24th, which was the day of the third task, Ginny ran into Fred and George on her way out of her Charms exam.

"Mum and Bill are here," said Fred. "They've come to see the final task of the tournament."

"Really?" said Ginny. "I didn't know they were coming!"

They headed down to the Great Hall where lunch was being served. Ginny found her mother regarding Ron sternly as he told her he just made up the names of the Goblin rebels names.

"Hello Mum!" said Ginny.

"Ginny!" cried Molly happily, pulling her daughter in for a tight hug.

Ginny greeted Bill then sat down next to Harry and Ron and began helping herself to lunch.

After lunch it was back to exams (unfortunately for her it was potions, and she knew Snape probably wouldn't give her a good grade even if she did well), then after that came dinner, then it was time for the Final Task to begin.

🦇🦇🦇

Viola sat in the stands that looked out upon what was now almost unrecognizable as the Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch as it had turned into a maze of twenty-foot-high hedges. Naturally, Hugo, Ava and Clemi were by her side.

The last few months at Hogwarts had been truly wonderful. Viola had never felt so clear headed, or clear hearted.

Exams had gone wonderfully for her. She'd started off with her sleeves rolled up, dark hair in a ponytail, and easily passed every test.

Now all those were over, and it was time for the Final Task, then her third year of Hogwarts would come to an end.

But Viola didn't want to think about that. She didn't want to think about leaving her friends and going home.

Across the stadium, Viola saw Ginny wave at her. She was seated beside Michael Corner. Viola waved back.

Once the stands were full of students, teachers, Hogsmeade villagers and visiting families (and the air full of voluminous chatter), Ludo Bagman announced that Professor McGonagall, Professor Moody, Professor Flitwick and Hagrid would be going into the maze to patrol in case of danger.

After the patrollers had entered the maze, Bagman began announcing the champions.

"Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each - Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter both of Hogwarts school!"

Hugo let out a tremendous whoop of excitement and Viola, Ava and Clemi clapped along with him.

Ludo Bagman announced Viktor Krum and Fluer Delacour, then the four champions entered the maze in order of who had the most points.

Once the champions had disappeared, the audience was once again faced with the fact that this was going to be a long and boring tournament as all they had to do was sit there and squint at the hedges through the growing dark.

Some excitement did arrive when Fluer came stumbling out of the maze, then a little while later Flitwick came out, an unconscious Viktor Krum held aloft by his wand.

Then all they had to wait for was either Cedric or Harry. And they all waited and waited and waited.

Viola thought it was taking a remarkably long time for them to make their way out of the maze. Had it been that complicated?

"Well the last two champions certainly are taking their sweet time," Ludo Bagman announced, "But I'm sure they will be along shortly-"

At that moment a swirling blur appeared. Suddenly Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory lying on the grass. Viola only saw them for a second before the crowd erupted and the people in front of Viola jumped up, blocking her view.

"It's Cedric!" Hugo cried.

He jumped onto the stadium bench so he could see over everyone's heads. Some people had gone running down to the pitch, crowding around the two champions.

"Go Cedric-" Hugo started to yell.

But then he stopped cheering. His hands raised in excitement fell to his sides and his face was suddenly very, very pale.

Viola was instantly scared. She had never seen such a look on Hugo's face before. One so terrified.

"What's wrong?" Viola whispered.

But Hugo didn't answer.

Suddenly a shrill scream hit the night air.

"He's dead! He's dead! Cedric Diggory! Dead!"