87

"Your brothers are a nuisance," said Wish.

She stepped into their dormitory with her arms across her chest, and an annoyed expression on her face.

"What are they doing now?" asked Ginny.

She stood still while Pamela kindly buttoned up the back of her dress.

"They're turning everyone into canaries," said Wish.

The girl slumped grumpily on to her bed.

"Yeah, lately everyones been exploding into feathers," said Ginny.

She turned to look at her reflection in the mirror. Ginny's swirly pink and mint-green dress fit perfectly on her small frame, and her long red hair fell upon her freckled shoulders in delightful little ringlets.

"Oh, Ginny, you look beautiful!" said Pamela.

Wish, who was usually the louder of the two friends, said nothing. She just stared at Ginny moodily. Despite all her desperate attempts, Wish had failed to acquire a partner for the ball. And she was taking it hard.

"Thank you!" said Ginny. "You look very pretty too!"

Pamela primped her curls with a satisfied smile.

Ginny slid the barrette her mother had sent her into her hair as a final touch.

"Alright, I'm going to go see if Hermione is ready," said Ginny.

She headed across the dorm and towards the bathroom. Hermione had opted to come get ready with Ginny, rather than with her dorm mates, Parvati and Lavender.

"Who's she going with again?" asked Pamela eagerly.

Ginny turned and looked back at Pamela with a wink. "You'll have to wait and see."

Ginny knocked on the bathroom door.

"Hermione? Are you still in there?"

"Yeah," Hermione's voice came floating out. "Sorry, I'll be out in a second."

True to her word, a second later, Hermione stepped out of the bathroom. But it was Hermione unlike Ginny had ever seen her before.

"Hermione!" said Ginny. "You are so pretty!"

Hermione blushed.

Her usually bushy hair was now sleek and shiny, pulled into an elegant knot at the back of her head. And she wore robes of a floaty, periwinkle-blue material. And their was a nervous and excited air all about her.

"Wow!" said Pamela. "Who are you and what happened to Hermione Granger?"

Ginny linked arms with Hermione. "Are you ready for the ball?"

Hermione smiled nervously. "I guess so."

🦇🦇🦇

Viola stepped nervously out from the bathroom stall.

"Do I look okay?"

Viola was met by a huge grin from Hugo.

"You look magnificent!" announced Hugo. He pretended to wipe his eyes. "My baby Viola, all grown up and going to a ball!"

Viola had a feeling Hugo would've said she looked nice if she came out in a dress made out of rat skins, so she looked hopefully at Clemi. The Hufflepuff girl gave Viola a thumbs up.