16

"Hello Luna," said Ginny as the Luna entered Herbology Wednesday afternoon. "How are- where are your shoes?"

Ginny's gaze had fallen upon Luna's feet which were bare and grubby. Ginny had gone barefoot many times in her life, but not at school. For a second all Ginny could think was how poor Luna must be...she must live in a shack and it moldy bread for dinner...but then how would her family have afforded all the things she needed for Hogwarts?

Luna looked down at her feet as if surprised.

"Oh...I seem to have misplaced them," she said as she took her place beside Ginny.

"You lost them?" asked Ginny.

Luna nodded. "Yes. Or someone else lost them for me. No one really likes me. The girls in my dorm call me Looney Lovegood,"

Luna spoke in a matter-of-fact tone but Ginny grew indignant.

"So someone's been stealing your shoes?" She demanded.

"I suppose so..." said Luna. "But I don't mind,"

"You don't mind? Luna your feet will freeze off in the winter time!" Said Ginny. Students were filing into the class room.

Luna shrugged. "I don't expect them to be missing for long. They'll find their way back,"

Ginny wanted to tell Luna that her shoes weren't going to just "find their way back" if someone was taking them, but at that moment Professor Sprout called for attention.

After class was over, Ginny caught up with Luna in the hallway.

"Luna, I am going to help you catch whoever has been taking your shoes," said Ginny with determination.

Luna blinked in surprise. "Well that's very nice of you. But you don't have to,"

"I know I don't have to, but I want to," said Ginny. "But we can't let someone get away with this. Together we'll catch them, alright?"

Luna smiled and it was the first smile Ginny had seen her wear that didn't seem vague or absentminded. "Well alright. Your very nice you know,"

Ginny smiled back. "Thanks Luna,"

🦇🦇🦇

Much to the surprise of Luna Lovegood, Ginny did not go back on her word. Almost every day for the next week during lunch, Ginny and Luna would hide in the Ravenclaw tower waiting for the thief to arrive. Luna's things continued to disappear and some to return. One day Ginny came across a pair of patterned sneakers hanging from a suit of armor. The Bright orange color and pattern of pigs told Ginny they were Luna's. But still Ginny and Luna were unsuccessful if in catching the culprit.

Ginny was thinking hard about it on Wednesday, a week after Ginny had seen Luna's bare feet. They must be looking at the wrong time. Maybe the culprit was one of Luna's own dorm mates and they were doing it at night.

Ginny headed down to breakfast with Ron and Hermione- Harry was at a early morning quidditch practice. They entered the great hall and Viola waved at her from the Slytherin table. Ginny waved back rather absentmindedly.

"What're you doing?" Ron demanded.

Ginny and Hermione both looked at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Asked Ginny.

"You just waved to a Slytherin!" Said Ron.