70

Viola's first week of school was quite enjoyable. She liked all her new classes, especially Care of Magical Creatures. It wasn't quite what she expected . . . But that was alright. Divination was fascinating, even if Viola didn't believe half the predictions that came out of Professor Trelawney's mouth. Ancient Runes, while equally as interesting as her other classes, was very difficult.

On Saturday Viola escaped the noise of the Slytherin common room to catch up on some studying in the library.

She was scanning the pages of her Ancient Runes work book, when a rattling sound made her look up.

Hermione Granger was walking purposefully towards her. The Gryffindor girls bushy hair was bouncing, and in hand she carried a box, the contents of which were rattling loudly.

Viola internally groaned. She'd never liked the bossy, over-achiever girl.

"You're Viola Lestrange, aren't you?" said Hermione as she approached. She held out a hand. "I'm Hermione Granger. We met on the train a few years ago."

"I remember," said Viola.

"Yes, well, I was wondering if you'd be interest in joining S-P-E-W," said Hermione brightly.

"S . . . P . . ."

"E-W," finished Hermione. She flipped open the top of her box. "Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare!"

Viola peered into the box to see a heap of badges in all different colors, all sporting the letters S.P.E.W. Viola couldn't help but read the letters as spew.

"The society for elfish welfare?" said Viola doubtfully.

"Yes," said Hermione. "Witches and Wizards have been enslaving house-elves for centuries! I think it's time for someone to take a stand!"

"But . . . Don't house elves like it?" said Viola slowly.

Her family had owned a house-elf for a little while, until her mother said she didn't like animals and they'd given him a shirt.

"Some of them! Not all of them!" said Hermione hotly. "And yes they like work, but why shouldn't they be payed for what they like to do? It only makes sense! Just because they aren't human doesn't mean we can force them to do whatever we want!"

Viola stared at Hermione for a moment, then said, "You're right about that."

Hermione's face lit up right away.

"Does that mean you'll join?" she asked eagerly.

Viola nodded. She had agreed with every word Hermione said, and she suddenly liked the girl a whole lot better for it.

"That'll be two sickles for a badge!"

🦇🦇🦇

Viola was coming out of History of Magic mid-September with Ava, when a odd croaking noise made her stop. Viola looked around to see a fat toad perched on a window sill.

"Well, hello there," said Viola.

She strode forward and scooped up the animal. It struggled slightly in her hands, but Viola held on tightly.

Ava peered over Viola's shoulder. "Isn't that Neville Longbottom's toad?"

"Longbottom?" said Viola in alarm.

Her aunt and uncle had gone to Azkaban for torturing people by the last name of Longbottom.

"Yes," said Ava. "He's a Gryffindor. And he looks like he's lost something."

Viola frowned at Ava, still clutching the toad in her hands. "How do you know what he looks like?"

"'Cause he's right over there," said Ava, pointing.

Viola looked around to see a boy crawling along on the ground calling "Trevor! Trevor!". Viola recognized the round-faced boy who she saw in the corridors every once in a while, occasionally with Harry Potter. He'd fallen off his seat during Viola's sorting. She dearly hoped he wasn't related to the victims of her own relatives.

"Well he definitely does seem to be searching for something," said Viola, squinting at the boy. "I'd better bring him his toad."

Viola crossed the corridor, over to where Neville was on his hands and knees.

"Er, excuse me," said Viola rather awkwardly. "I've got your toad."

The boy looked around and his face lit up at the sight of the toad.

"Trevor!" Neville cried. He jumped to his feet. After gathering the toad in his hands, he smiled rather shyly at Viola and said, "Thank you. I'm Neville Longbottom by the way."

"You're welcome. I'm Viola Lestrange."

As soon as Viola said that last word she wished she hadn't. Neville turned pale, and he took a few steps backward.

"Are you Bellatrix Lestranges daughter?" Neville whispered.

"No!" said Viola quickly. "No, I'm not!"

Viola felt a pang of guilt in her chest. The witch and wizard her aunt and uncle had tortured, must've been Neville's parents.

"She is my aunt though," said Viola, her eyes wide, "and Neville, I am so, so sorry for what she and her husband did to your family. I know it doesn't-"

"What do you mean she's your aunt?"

Viola spun around at the sound of the cold voice behind her. There stood Morgana Rosier, flanked by Bertha, her arms crossed over her chest. The Slytherin girl's green eyes flashed angrily.

"You told us Bellatrix Lestrange was your mother," said Morgana, her voice full of accusation.

"I-I," Viola stammered for a moment, caught in her lie. Then she stiffened her resolve. "Yes I did tell you that. And I was a complete idiot when I did so. Bellatrix Lestrange is not my mother, nor would I ever want her to be in a million years."

"You lied to us," said Bertha.

"Yes, I did," said Viola. "And I apologize for that because it was a stupid lie to tell."

"Well don't think you're just going to get away with it," said Morgana. "You're going to pay for this-"

"Of course she is," said Ava, suddenly stepping forward and putting her hand on Viola's shoulder. Her blue eyes were narrowed at Morgana. "Because you just can't resist the chance to hurt someone, can you?"

Morgana snorted. "Whatever Scarlett."

"No, whatever Rosier," said Ava. "Viola and I aren't afraid of anything you throw at us, because we can throw it right back at you."

For a moment Morgana and Ava had an intense staring contest, then Morgana snorted again and looked away.

"Whatever."

The girl pushed by them, and was followed by Bertha.

Viola smiled at Ava in gratitude, then she remembered.

"Neville!" Viola cried, whirling around.

But the boy had disappeared. Viola couldn't blame him. She would've run from the niece of his parents torturers as well.