Chapter 18: Until Next Time, Boss

I glared angrily at Thérèse as she fed me some disgusting baby mush soup with literal liquid vegetables barely holding their form inside. She didn't even look apologetic as she set up a soundproof barrier around us and continued with her conversation in this new room.

"Why don't you just take the little one to your parents' house? I bet she'd be much safer there."

A spoonful of disgustingness was forced into my reluctant mouth. I was hungry, but I wasn't that hungry. Actually, I was that hungry, but I just took pleasure in making the maid focus on me after neglecting me for so long.

"Because that would mean I am suspicious of him. Then, he would do his damnedest to make us stay or drag us back. I already have one tie with him, I don't want anymore than the four we have: my title, our marriage, this child, and my to-be-born son. I don't want to have a son because if I leave, he might come out as twisted as his father. I would stay here and raise them myself, but even that's not an option. The bitchy maids abuse this newborn, what will they do to her when she's older? You can't raise a child in this type of hostile environment," the Lady Lilly ranted, peeved. I take it that she doesn't have many allies here that she can talk to properly.

I could tell this because of how everything just came streaming out from the smallest question, and the kind demeanor was replaced with a strict woman who didn't hold back with her words. At all. I put some censors in there so I wouldn't hear some of the stuff she said.

"I know..." Thérèse sighed. "This is a really bad place to be. It's a typical noble trouble situation too. Why don't you check if he's got any illegitimate children and force him to take them in? If there's a son, they can be the heir. Simple enough, right?"

Lady Lilly's face contorted a bit. "It's a good idea, but I wouldn't force anyone to put up with that crazy guy. Especially a child of his-they are better off where they belong, whether it's in the slums or with their mother...fucking megalomaniac makes things so hard to deal with..."

I think I heard something mumbled under her breath that I shouldn't have again. I'm gonna just ignore that...

"That bad? I knew he was a piece of work, but I didn't think we'd need to beat some sense into him," Thérèse sat back in her chair nonchalantly, as if she hadn't just threatened the safety of one of the most important nobles in the land. Instead, we were talking about how to decorate cupcakes.

Yeah, I haven't had cupcakes in a long time. Or mochi. Even chocolate, something I hate, sounds good right now.

"Sadly, we can't do that. This household isn't so free where you can get away with beating up the lord, like with Earl's wife."

You considered it. You seriously considered it.

"Yeah, that's quite the special relationship if I do say so myself. Not that healthy, but it works," the maid nodded, looking at me as I refused the spoon.

She frowned, unpleased, and reached over. Her left hand pried my tiny jaw down and the right one put the spoon in. My tongue was not strong enough to prevent this.

"Sometimes I just randomly wonder how he ever got...lucky...enough to marry her. He's five years older than her. How did that even work?"

Yes, pray tell. How did that work? I'm curious myself.

...I think while fighting to get that spoon out of my mouth.

"She met him while adventuring. She was a hired escort of Earl when he was traveling alone a few years ago, before his wife died. She was fourteen when she first met him, he was her age of nineteen. She always amazed him with how she was already a C+ rank fresh out of adventuring school and could beat up anyone she pleased. Of course, what mattered more was how she was a favorite of his wife and did the job efficiently...He frequently requested her and she was always accepted. Despite the age gap, they all always got along so well. Lady Elizabeth, little Firefly Anastasia, and the unfortunate Earl Earl. They made quite a group, you know. Lady Elizabeth was a former adventurer and loved fighting, so she battled it out with Anastasia every time they met. It's much like how Ana and Earl battle every time they reunite..."