Chapter 86: An Almost Death In The Family

I was forcefully kicked out this time, unable to see what became of the dagger that I only realized then was being held by my soul.

     When I woke up, I found I was being shaken rapidly by a child.

     "Sissy woke up!" Hera shouted in my ear. I winced quite miserably.

     "Really? Sissy, are you okay?" Adri came and climbed on to my bed.

     I sat up, rubbing my head. "I'm fine. What're you guys doing here?"

     "We came to tell you that Dad's here. He had went back home to bring the troops back, and then took an extra carriage ride this way," Chord was sitting at the foot of my bed, hands crossed gracefully. Ever the proper child, she was.

     "Okay, I'll get up now," I swung my legs off the other side of the bed, about to go get dressed.

     "Hey, what's this?" Hera called out curiously. When I turned around to see what she was talking about, I almost had a heart attack.

     "Don't touch that!" I barked at her, throwing up a barrier that threw her away. She fell to the ground, saved only from a hard fall by a thin barrier I put beneath her. I used healing magic without thinking, every single nerve in my body on high alert. I jumped over to the other side of the bed to see if she was okay in one bound, grabbing onto her arm to assure myself she was not absorbed. "Hera?! Are you okay? Is anything missing? Answer me!" I called out with the palest face I'd ever had.

     She dazedly looked up at me, no doubt winded from hitting the barrier. It probably wasn't much better than the floor, but it was something.

     When she nodded at me confusedly, I hugged her tightly and didn't let go until a few maids barged in.

     "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I'll keep my things out of reach, I'm sorry..."

     Somehow, I got the very first real shock of losing my family. It happened so fast that I was just a rambling machine then, not really thinking as I brushed her hair down like an old biddy while telling myself she was okay.

     The maids didn't bother prying us apart, only watching.

     When one of them moved towards the bed, Adri attacked her and hugged her legs. She yelped from where his face was, but he didn't notice.

     "You can't touch that!" He pulled on her tighter while Chord wrapped around her hand. "Sissy said so!"

     In less than a second, I had it stored away in my Storage and was looking over Hera's Status to see if anything had gone down.

     Perfectly fine, I stopped her from touching it in time.

     I sighed while the rest of the people there looked at me concernedly.

     A disaster was just avoided, so I don't care how you look at me as long as it isn't with hate for killing my sister because of all the crazy things I bring home.

     In the far future, Hera would only recall this moment as me hugging her for no reason while out of my mind. Adri wouldn't remember it that well and thought I was defending a black and white egg, while Chord had the most accurate story; I didn't want Hera to cut herself on a really sharp knife.

     She would ask me, after thinking about it for some time, "Why did you have that in bed with you?"

     "I got it from a someone I really hate."

     "That doesn't explain as to why you wouldn't put it on a desk or shelf," Chord frowned, tweaking her pretty doll face.

     "Because knowing the twins and their tendency to touch everything in sight," I stared accusingly at the brother and sister with enflamed ears, "they would've picked it up without asking me and gotten into a world of trouble."

     "What would've happened?" my curious brother asked.

     "Oh, you really don't want to know..." I trailed off while looking out the window of the classroom.

     "You're really weird, you know?" their future friend would say.

     "She's always been weird, what are enough talking about?" Courtney looked over at them, closing her textbook with the natural grace she always seemed to have. "You should get used to it if you want to survive until graduation with her here."

     "It's already been one jumble of circumstance after another," Hera rolled her eyes, trying to defend her pride and clutch at her red ears. "How are you not used to it already?"

     Sarena added on, "A lot of life threatening experiences."

     "Can't forget the mystical experience that'll drag along. Oh, or the nonsensical enemies that pop out of nowhere like mushrooms!" a certain princess would crack an ecstatic smile. Her backpack had been torched to nothingness under the influence of a monster she had ticked off a few days ago. It had possessed a flame mushroom in the science room and gone after her. Thankfully, it hadn't been in my class. I didn't know why she was blaming me for that, but these days, most people blamed me for anything. I was a common excuse. "Literally," she added on while remembering how that backpack had burned. For some reason, she had seemed happy about it.

     Her mother made me promise to take care of her...letting her turn herself into a pyromaniac must not be something in the letter she gave me.

     Alaia had stood over her shoulder and remembered an American song from her past life, muttering it aloud without meaning to, "Burn baby, burn."

     Did they save the backpack? Well, no, but that's not my fault. I'm not just any common excuse, but I'm an overused common excuse.

     Adri sighed, "And we'll need a whole lotta luck."

     "You know what they say: crazy flows where crazy goes," Alaia shrugged with a nonchalant smile, one that was obviously teasing underneath. The princess laughed at her comment, while Chord sighed. It was hard to miss the small smile on her lips, however.

     I rolled my eyes at their playfulness, wondering how these quiet and sincere children I had been thrown into the lives of so long ago could turn into this.

     But I'm fine with that, really. The jokes and comments.

     In this life, I really am.

AN: Short, yes, but um...yeah. Let's look forward to braving 2019, surviving life in general, wondering in years to come why I wrote this in the first place. It's early in the morning, leave me be. Just sleep. Sleep's beautiful. I should do that soon, but no, a certain character from a certain other story is calling for me to write about them...and so I must go, on no uncertain terms, while hoping that the word count continues to rise with this tangent I've gone on.

If you skipped my tangent, good for you. It was a bit scrambled from start to finish. Early Happy New Years~Good day~