Chapter 59: Father's B-Day Mostly Gone Right

A few days later, it was Father's birthday. Augesi 15th, also a Breik-day...I think. I get confused about the dates a lot.

Either way, he was turning twenty-six.

     There weren't many people that came, just our immediate family and our grandparents. Lady Lilly and the children had stayed over, many nobles that Father knew sending their greetings.

     Asoko and a few others popped in for some reason, invited by Grandfather since he said his son didn't have many friends. Grandmother almost ripped his ear off while scolding her husband, telling him to not make their son lame in front of his children. They were Grandfather's friends anyway, so the wrong age of company was invited. Oh well.

     It was a small gathering, way smaller than the twin's birthday.

     We were in a dining room that was as large as a conference room, a place with large cathedral-like windows on one side and paintings on the ceiling.

     Since birthdays were celebrated differently in this world than my own, I was disappointed when I saw no one decorating. So, I decided to do a little of my own later.

     They were a little more than surprised when I put streamers attached to the wall that drooped and were spun together, a large table cloth with nice borders and accents.

    I had to remove a bit of it, like the colored lights. I really liked those, and so did the children. But, Sarah-san would have none of it.

     "You can do it at your party, but this is your Father's."

     So, the streamers all became the national colors of Bytriste, along with the one representing the region of Koraco.

     The party, which consisted of only fifteen people, started in the evening when the suns were just about to go down. Mana lights were giving the room the look of a pretty patio, the tile floor clean, high ceiling, chandeliers, and the people dressed nicely for the earl.

     I'd been late because I was collecting materials for Father's gifts in the forest and Zueltina, since I popped on over for a few hours to search for a squid, looking for ink.

     When I came, I was messy and my clothes were a mess. It was a mess all around.

     Father and a few others noticed me sneaking down the halls towards the bathroom, me not using magic because I had forgotten to while I was tinkering with the pen in my hand.

     Them in their modest party attire and me covered in squid ink, staring at each other and the trail I left behind me, made me laugh a little guiltily and hysterically until I ran away in the other direction.

     Of course, I snapped my fingers with my free hand and the ink stained on the ground took the form of a dove and flew after me. The floor looked like I had never stepped on it with ink, clean.

     Magaris chased after me and wrestled me into the bath, making me late to the party since she made me dress up and delayed my next project.

     When I came out, I was wearing a white dress like the one Louise had been wearing when she first arrived to match my eyes.

     Yes, my eyes were still that whitish purple color and had jagged lines through it. My family looked me in the eye like it was normal everyday, but I couldn't stand it since it must've looked disgusting, messed up.

     There was no way Mother would allow me to change them, since she didn't want me doing anything to myself.

     It's like the modern mother forbidding their child from smoking or getting a tattoo, getting their ears pierced or cutting their hair a certain way.